Lightest wheels for a slingshot

Jay_111

80's and 90's OEM wheels were heavy but strong - roads are hard on wheels! Racing wheels have to be cared for - no kerbing, big wheelies etc and corrosion loves that light alloy. Later 1000 wheels may fit and be lighter but the manufacturers started using bigger dia. spindles that were hollow - strong and light, so that may pose a problem as a 'bolt-on' into older forks?

• Like 1

The straight spoke 3.5/5.5 inch wheels are the better part of 5lb lighter when fitted with aluminium bearing spacers - gsxr1100 ws/wt, gsxr750wr/ws, rf900.  Front wheels fit straight in. The rear needs the caliper hanger from the straight spoke bike , I can't remember if the outer sprocket carrier spacer had to be altered - easy to do though. I used an Armstrong rear disc, this saved 1lb 5oz  , a Talon rear sprocket saved better part of 2lb over std - I'm sure you've got that stuff anyway, but the straight spoke wheels are worth fitting.   

I've fitted late 750 forks/wheel/calipers now, saved loads of weight. The rear wheel  I fitted is from a 2013 600/750, it was trickier to fit, but just needs bearings changed to suit our 20mm axle - I  press fitted bushes to the spacers and cut them to length. I had to use a caliper hanger from a gsx600f (had to drill out to 20mm from it's original size) to get alignment sorted on that side. I did look at the 675r (R6 and cbr600rr too)  that Dunc said, they are slightly lighter than the gsxr late stuff, but I went with the Suzuki stuff for loyalty issues !

• Like 3
19 hours ago, dupersunc said:

Just had my slingshot and a 675r parked next to each other,  and tape measure in hand.  

Very doable, much closer than Late model GSXR stuff.

I’ve changed tyres, sprockets etc on plenty of Triumph 675 Daytonas and Street Triples and am always amazed at how light the wheels are.

• Like 2

Marchesini KTM Superduke wheels are an option.

I'm running a complet rear unit on my slingshot (750 88) . Sleeved the 25mm to stand with the rear 20mm axle. Gs500 bracket caliper bored to 20mm works too.

Don't have money for the front wheel...but programmed asap.

Totally forget to weight the wheel...

320 disc...

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, CockneyRick said:

K series rear wheels have a very wide hub, easier to fit a 6" Busa rear if that's what you want.

Fronts might be lighter for newer models but don't run a mech speedo ;) 

K series and busa hubs/sprocket carriers are the same offset. Same as S-rads too. No easier to fit one or the other.

Still have the same 10mm difference in sprocket offset to sort out or just ignore and tell everyone its straight lol

• Like 1

My money is still on one of these, nice skinny 20mm spindle and this one is hollow, 'cause I sourced it from another random modern bike.

kxHW9v8l.jpg

But...But, race bike light it is Not.

Anything with a full/road cush drive and 3 bearings is going to be lardy when you throw a disc and sprocket at it.

I'm going minimal on fasteners, cool sprocket etc..etc, trying to shave weight, but I may need a rethink.

The fronts are light though.

Edited by markfoggy
  • Like 1

this is OSS.info after all....

it's time consuming i know, collecting info, but this is how we can build up the catalogue that is the 'vault'

weights and measures, it'd be real kool if you made notes whenever possible, as 'it's light as fuck' may sound like a great explanation, but in reality it says fuck all.

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, CockneyRick said:

Jeez, they're not!

I wanted K wheel but could not move it enough, so with the Busa i could.

Do i have to go get measurements to prove you wrong?

Please do. Pretty sure Srad boys wouldnt be bolting k series rear wheels straight in otherwise.

The ones in my garage all measure the same 110mm ish from wheel center to inside of sprocket face

Ok Folks, there will be some delay here gathering data.

I have a tyre fitted to my pre '12 wheel so cannot get a straight edge across the rim. Can't move the tyre for a while now, and it will be inconvenient. 

First appraisal though is that the bearing faces are a common width, but the disc mounting face of the later wheels is further inboard and the disc PCD is smaller.

Simple answer is the wheels are not interchangeable.

My cushdrive rubber is brand new so getting a true figure for inner sprocket face to rim is proving difficult as well, I have no arm here to clamp it up in, but it seems to be about 27mm.

• Like 1