Tire centered in frame??

NotStock

2 hours ago, no class said:

..... did you measure the I.D of the holesaw before you turned the frame insert ?  Anyways.... not to worry .

Well, hard to make excuses, but I assumed the flange diameter didn't matter. I chucked up an 1 1/4 piece of material to make the guide, assuming that the drill in the centre would be enough to guide the saw. In reality, I should have made the guide the same OD as the saw ID to keep it true to the drill bit. I never would have guessed that there would be so much runout in a hole saw setup. Ultimately, I got a lot of the runout out by messing with the arbor and the holes measured (shockingly) less than .005" oversize, so good result in the end. The saw was tight on the inner bushings, so Im sure those are perfectly on centre. 

Hindsight, make the busing OD the same as the saw ID! 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Motor mounts done. I moved the efe up a little in the frame to get better clearance at the lower mount. Maybe 1/8 of an inch.

IMG_6242.thumb.JPG.96c44867ead7854a613f57419cee16aa.JPGIMG_6243.thumb.JPG.c4fbe3a46ff57f8e886ce346b3463704.JPGIMG_6244.thumb.JPG.b1aca76e83429d8041e4e1a372944780.JPG

The front worked out really nicely. With the wider frame I could use straight 1/4" plates.

IMG_6247.thumb.JPG.a1b196b4bea8b8aec7227b092db1fdd1.JPG

It was an iterative process. I made several versions that ended up in the scrap bin. Very happy with the end result, but the whole process made me really aware of how much I need a Bridgeport.

IMG_6250.thumb.JPG.0363f18f575cc2840c60e6c69422de3d.JPG

The mounts might get speed holes in the future, but not until I can do a nice job of it. I still need to weld in the fixed mounting points. But that is easy now that the motor is located.

• Like 3

One province over. I'm in NB. Shop is in the two car attached to my house. My problem is that I travel a lot, like 2-3 weeks a month, so finding shop time is hard for different reasons.  Must say though, it is nice to be able to pop out and do an hour of work whenever I can fit it in.

• Like 1