Frame building

Magnum

On 11/12/2017 at 12:37 PM, yantosh said:

tube is 6082, not the fancy 70 series stuff, but it's good enough for IZAX so it'll do me , bent using a home made JD style bender, pushed to it's limits

http://www.chopperhandbook.com/bender.htm , @Magnum, your bender will out perform mine

the aluminium extrusion goes by the name of ITEM , http://www.item24.lt/en/home/products/building-kit-systems/mb-building-kit-system.html

prob not cheap, but I managed to obtain a piece

Stop even thinking of 7 series, most of it won't weld.

Bending 6082 ain't easy you need to be aware of the condition T6 max.

not claiming to be any kind of expert, but I've been bending and welding 6082 for a lot of years,  swingarms, subframes, etc , I don't need to stop thinking about 7 series as I've no intention of using it anyway,   although GIA , JMC,  Spondon and prob many more, who no doubt are experts work with 7 series  (7020) 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, markfoggy said:

Stop even thinking of 7 series, most of it won't weld.

Bending 6082 ain't easy you need to be aware of the condition T6 max.

#1   it does weld.... only a small range are possibly unsuitable for welding

#2   it is easy......  it's a bit more difficult than bending a filler rod but not as difficult as bending time

• Like 3

Yeah,I know, I have been looking around for a company with a CNC bender. 

Twisting the arm of somebody that has no interest in bikes is a bad habit that I have, it does get results sometimes.

Stumped on this one though. :(

Spondon used to be able to run their flat faced oval around that sort of profile, with the flat staying level and horizontal. 

Can't even find the tube now.

LOL, scratch that I found the tube. :banana:

Edited by markfoggy
3 hours ago, markfoggy said:

Anybody able to bend me a couple of tight loops,  in approx 25mm 6082 tube.

I'm thinking about 240mm diameter, full semi circle in the middle of a 1200mm length, 2 of.

Asking for a friend :P

Barnshaws Section Benders  or Angle Ring Co.......should be able to do it a POP as they say 9_9

• 1 month later...
On 12/17/2017 at 10:23 AM, markfoggy said:

Anybody able to bend me a couple of tight loops,  in approx 25mm 6082 tube.

I'm thinking about 240mm diameter, full semi circle in the middle of a 1200mm length, 2 of.

Asking for a friend :P

Company called 'one offs' in Liverpool might be able to sort you out? http://www.oneoffslimited.co.uk/

I havent built a full frame from scratch but I built this from a headstock and downtubes. Getting the joints right and double checking alignment after every tack and full weld is key. Was for me anyway :pimp:

I will add I worked in an engineering shop at the time and their MIG was very forgiving, not been able to replicate the welding on this frame with my little clarke turbo thing at home! YET!!

chop99.jpg

• Like 2
On 11 December 2017 at 8:36 PM, nlovien said:

I spent days / nights with a die grinder "finding" the mitre shape by hand on plough steel tube before repeating on the chrome moly - 8 though feeler gauge was the pass/  fail toy

If you Google Tony Foale, and look for Tube Mitre programme, that will give you a paper template to wrap around your frame tubes for cut lines. You input tube sizes, angles of meeting tubes, and it does the rest. 

• Like 1

aye Tony, the templates work when you know where your going and you can jig bend in 3D and replicate parts to an exact template

when you have a curved cross brace that is going to miter into 3 different locations or your shaping tube by eye in 3D from a 2D paper template - a nibble here and a nibble there as you work the pipe in is the only way I can get it to work

lacking the patience to design on paper, then build jigs to enable transfer of design into metal - i.e. think twice cut once - na, cut once, cut twice - scrap it and start again until it works :D

• Like 7
  • 5 months later...