Frame building

Magnum

41 minutes ago, bluedog59 said:

I'm currently (very slowly) having a go. You can find it on page 3 of the watercooled section, "just thought I'd show you a few pics of my 750". 

Nice job bulldog, plenty of bracing.would you have any pics of the milling attachments you used for doing the mitres for the tubes?you must have used a proper benders aswell?

He just sets up the parts his using for the build as In  (front end rear end and engine) works out geometry bends tubes to suit and tacks it all up then builds box steel around the frame to finish up welding everything up.he does nice work.the pic I put up is probably my favourite bike I have seen him build.

tube is 6082, not the fancy 70 series stuff, but it's good enough for IZAX so it'll do me , bent using a home made JD style bender, pushed to it's limits

http://www.chopperhandbook.com/bender.htm , @Magnum, your bender will out perform mine

the aluminium extrusion goes by the name of ITEM , http://www.item24.lt/en/home/products/building-kit-systems/mb-building-kit-system.html

prob not cheap, but I managed to obtain a piece

• Like 3
On 08/12/2017 at 9:26 PM, Magnum said:

Nice job bulldog, plenty of bracing.would you have any pics of the milling attachments you used for doing the mitres for the tubes?you must have used a proper benders aswell?

Thanks. It may be a little "over braced" but it's my first attempt and I've also allowed for fitting a bigger/more powerful.

Milling attachments ? I just use a bi-metal hole saw in the chuck and hold the tube in a tilting clamp I've made. Gives a very good joint.

I spent days / nights with a die grinder "finding" the mitre shape by hand on plough steel tube before repeating on the chrome moly - 8 though feeler gauge was the pass/  fail toy

next time - for the headstock I will make a tool  -  - bring all the headstock tubes together ( typically x 6) then machine the lot back to fit the headstock  - something like a drum flycutter to undersize then finish with a drum sander - Magnum as yir making a jig - think about stuff like this - how could you use the jig stem for the headstock as a centre for a cutting device - say nice tight centre for the drum to slide on  - just idea's from already being at stage 1

i'd also think along the same lines to use the jig to support drilling through for swing arm bushes - i.e. a lot easier to weld up +/- then finish off drill accurately versus trying to tack up accurately