Bandit 1200 fork stanchion problem..

Guest YoshiJohnny

Guest YoshiJohnny

I have never encountered this before

The Bandit 1200 forks I am gonna use needed replacement (non gen) stanchions brand new but they don't come with damper holders...so you have to grind the old stanchion tube just enough to release them...then roll the edge of the new tube once the parts are in place,, Having never had to do this I am wondering if anyone has any tips or has a tool or something to do it right?? peening over with a hammer is a last resort 

never too old to be learnin'

YJ

Guest YoshiJohnny
8 hours ago, cregnybaa said:

ABE Shafts by any chance?.

yes

13 hours ago, Rene EFE said:

Err, this strikes me as odd. Wouldn't you already encounter this with a simple rebuild of these forks, or could you then work around it?

genuine Suzuki come with these parts  rolled into them in which is obviously why the ABE ones are much cheaper and I have always used genuine at work

YJ

Edited by YoshiJohnny
Guest YoshiJohnny
36 minutes ago, fatblokeonbandit said:

I might know for a good set of mark 1 standard forks?? any good:tu

sorted now thanks..

new stanchions were £60 each

had a word with a couple of proper engineers who just said to carefully peen the end over... stretching the metal slightly in the process...

It was actually a piece of piss to do and is every bit as good as the original now as the holders are held tight and square as you peen the end over and seat it..

13 hours ago, canamant said:

So if the "roll" isn't perfect the damper rod  could pull through the bottom of the stanchion.......

I might think twice about the ride now YJ !

pussy

:D

2 hours ago, YoshiJohnny said:

sorted now thanks..

new stanchions were £60 each

had a word with a couple of proper engineers who just said to carefully peen the end over... stretching the metal slightly in the process...

It was actually a piece of piss to do and is every bit as good as the original now as the holders are held tight and square as you peen the end over and seat it..

pussy

:D

They are very good shafts apart from the pissing about.