Gsx1100 upgrade

Karst34

Some insparation! Liking the Kat front fairing A lot! B|

going for clip-ons asswel, because I still have them from my Aprilia mille built into Tuono R and it wil nor be my  daylie driver, nor holidays..more daytrips and  trackbike

last pictures are from my Tuono R, last not-suzuki relatief pic I will  post    wrong - CC :v

05921FE3-21E6-4809-9E0C-DD0EF0E1B103.jpeg

C5F644DC-09D1-4CE4-BFFE-4D1902FF21BA.jpeg

F51904AD-6D47-4891-925D-F60ADF258DDF.jpeg

54D80433-A3C4-4BD1-82E3-39B27A1AD743.jpeg

57DF459D-7427-4B4D-AA81-9423D618F059.jpeg

EB916295-E59C-4472-B804-2CB8687CF752.jpeg

Edited by Captain Chaos
  • Like 2

Regarding the oil cooler on a Efe...

I think I depends on your plan / use for it.

Most of the guys who race the older models, older than the Efe, add a cooler to help and keep the oil temp down.

They even claim a higher oil temperature results in a higher lap times.

For commuting use,  I think,  the fins cool the engine enough. I have no first hand experience with it.

I have always ran my efe with the stock oil cooler.  

Pretty sure more people will share their thoughts and views regarding the oil cooler.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Karst34 said:

Hello Arnout,

I understand that an EFE always has to run with an oil cooler?

2 hours ago, Blubber said:

Regarding the oil cooler on a Efe...

I think I depends on your plan / use for it.

For commuting use,  I think,  the fins cool the engine enough. I have no first hand experience with it.

I have always ran my efe with the stock oil cooler.  

Like Blubber stated, the need for an oil cooler (a small cooler is stock btw) on an EFE depends on the use of the bike. If you live in a rural place and don't have dence traffic to deal with -which cuts the cooling effect of airflow a lot- AND the engine is stock AND you don't twist the throttle to the stop at every opportunity, THEN you can do without an oil cooler.

I live in a big city however, and riding my Kat with stock EFE engine through the stop-and-go traffic will heat it up to around 105 deg. C. even with the stock cooler. Recently fitted a large Bandit 1200 cooler which brought the temperature down a lot. BUT the flipside of fitting a large cooler is that it takes longer for the engine to reach working temp., or it may not get up to it at all. Which is not good for wear. So.. That's why I also fit an oil thermostat with fitting a large oil cooler on my GSX's.

As for the plumbing side of things. The oil filter plate controls the way the oil flows, and so is a vital part of fitting a cooler. The EFE plate blocks oil flow to the filter element and redirects the flow to the take off points on either side of the oil filter plate . An earlier (ET/ESD) filter plate lets the oil flow through without redirecting.

Mike does a better explanation here: https://www.theflyingbanana.com/oil-cooler.htm

1 hour ago, Karst34 said:

Anybody got an oil-cooler laying around? PM me

I've got 2 stock EFE coolers gathering dust I am willing to part with in exchange for money, but I suggest you first read up on the subject and decide what cooler you actually need. And also of course figure out what size of cooler will actually fit the layout of your bike best before splashing your cash.

18 hours ago, boilerdude said:

pretty sure the v&h is comparable price from Eblag or straight from v&h... Thats about what they run. And then there's the MAC brand knockoff sidewinders for a bit less.

I had a MAC exhaust on my old (stolen) Kat. It was very cheap, and it was cheaply made. Very thinwall (but big diameter) tubes, which actually made it pretty light in overall weight. The fit to the exhaust ports and around the bottom of the engine was spot on. Didn't use the muffler (which was heavy and hardly had any sound baffling). I painted the new system before fitting because the black paint it came with was worse than I thought.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, arnout said:

Like Blubber stated, the need for an oil cooler (a small cooler is stock btw) on an EFE depends on the use of the bike. If you live in a rural place and don't have dence traffic to deal with -which cuts the cooling effect of airflow a lot- AND the engine is stock AND you don't twist the throttle to the stop at every opportunity, THEN you can do without an oil cooler.

I live in a big city however, and riding my Kat with stock EFE engine through the stop-and-go traffic will heat it up to around 105 deg. C. even with the stock cooler. Recently fitted a large Bandit 1200 cooler which brought the temperature down a lot. BUT the flipside of fitting a large cooler is that it takes longer for the engine to reach working temp., or it may not get up to it at all. Which is not good for wear. So.. That's why I also fit an oil thermostat with fitting a large oil cooler on my GSX's.

As for the plumbing side of things. The oil filter plate controls the way the oil flows, and so is a vital part of fitting a cooler. The EFE plate blocks oil flow to the filter element and redirects the flow to the take off points on either side of the oil filter plate . An earlier (ET/ESD) filter plate lets the oil flow through without redirecting.

Mike does a better explanation here: https://www.theflyingbanana.com/oil-cooler.htm

I've got 2 stock EFE coolers gathering dust I am willing to part with in exchange for money, but I suggest you first read up on the subject and decide what cooler you actually need. And also of course figure out what size of cooler will actually fit the layout of your bike best before splashing your cash.

I had a MAC exhaust on my old (stolen) Kat. It was very cheap, and it was cheaply made. Very thinwall (but big diameter) tubes, which actually made it pretty light in overall weight. The fit to the exhaust ports and around the bottom of the engine was spot on. Didn't use the muffler (which was heavy and hardly had any sound baffling). I painted the new system before fitting because the black paint it came with was worse than I thought.

I need an oil cooler if I read it, got The EFE plate I suppose, I live in A rural place but I won’t use the bike for easy riding, like to do Some track days and have A blast at sunday Rides with my friends.. So I think A bandit or GSX1400 oil cooler with thermostate is the best for me?!?

First things First, in januari I’ll Go to Jerryt with my bike and get the Aprilia front  fork and wheels in, clip-ons footpegs and the tank fitted.

then install my new gsxr750w  carbs, get an exhaust ( ASK Jerryt)  get the electrics done and try to start-up the bike..so a long way to go :P

bit by bit get all the good parts over the winter  :banana:

• Like 1

The 1400 oil cooler is a big one. 

I think its even to big for the 1400.

I base this on the fact that it has a thermo-switch Fan which never comes on, not even by Australian owners in rush hours when filtering through traffic. 

The use of a thermostat is a must in your case.

I've got a bent one you can have to see if it fits. Alternatively I can give you the dimensions. 

On 25-11-2017 at 7:02 PM, arnout said:

What are the dimensions of the stock oil cooler? Then I can look for alternatives, Thanks in front for the info Guys :tu

9 hours ago, Karst34 said:

What are the best you’ll recomend for my EFE engine, or Go with A stock one?

Plenty of aftermarket coolers available. I think FBOAB has a good idea with using some of the really good value ones from China. There seems little point in spending a fortune on one just because it has an 'Earls' or similar sticker on what was probably made in China anyway. Each to their own though:)

3 hours ago, Dezza said:

Plenty of aftermarket coolers available. I think FBOAB has a good idea with using some of the really good value ones from China. There seems little point in spending a fortune on one just because it has an 'Earls' or similar sticker on what was probably made in China anyway. Each to their own though:)

Goodmorning,

Ok where Should I look for these aftermarket coolers from China?

Eblag or another site?

FBOAB is an OSS member?

30 minutes ago, Karst34 said:

Goodmorning,

Eblag or another site?

FBOAB is an OSS member?

FBoAB is indeed a member : "Fat bloke on a bandit"

Try these topics ( or the search option, that's how i found these ;)

18 hours ago, Karst34 said:

Goodmorning,

Eblag or another site?

FBOAB is an OSS member?

His thread in trick frames on his Harris F1 has information on making your own oil cooler kit without having to pay a fortune for similar with an Earls sticker on it. There are many coolers on Eblag to choose from.

On 5-12-2017 at 4:38 AM, Dezza said:

Goodmorning,

Eblag or another site?

FBOAB is an OSS member?