Tank welding?

Jpich85

I'm having trouble finding somewhere to hide the battery on my gsxr 750 1990 tracker build, I'm thinking about loosing a third of the tank and blanking it off and keeping a 3rd of it to house the battery, I'm not sure if it's something I can do but I'm willing to give it a try, I just wanted to see if anyone has any advice on welding these tanks? I'm sure it won't be easy, I was also concerned about the heat from the engine affecting the battery? There's no room in the tail where I originally wanted to put it, any advice would be great.

Cheers

tig braze is good because you use much less heat - easier on thin sheet - no pulling / distortion

front sprocket cover area is a handy place to hide a battery - done by many - add in use of lithium battery to keep size down - actually you may find space by building your own lithium battery from cells = create your own shape

• Like 1

Thanks for your advice everyone, I'll have a good think before I start this part of the bike, I'm still trying to figure out the subframe.

I think if like you said it's insulated then maybe some protection between the tank and battery too, I have thought of something cool to help cool things down but not sure if it'll work or look good lol, I'm hoping to mount the clock on the tank too so this will give good area for wires to come through. Cheers

Edited by Jpich85

I had a battery box made up and mounted it on the underside of the swingarm. I used a lithium battery to keep size down. Once mounted and painted to match the swingarm, it was barely noticeable.  This wasn't on a gsxr but the idea might still be suitable. 

Edited by TiZiK
Correct the autocorrect
  • Like 1