1978 Gs1000

Brucekirk

Ground up restored 78gs1000??

Rebuild engine weisco big bore kit bottom end milling done by local shop but I did everything else in my shop kirkcustomcycles.com 4-1 headers were crushed underneath so I built new exhaust but the pipe was good so I reused it sound mean with straight pipes

Stripped painted entire bike just waiting to paint tank fully just not sure of tank color yet might just hydrodip tank carbon fiber??

Fully rewired bike built harness myself,,WISH THESE HAD KICKSTART tho lol.

Not sure if I want to café this bike kinda liking the stock look but seat looks like crap why I hvnt reapulsterd it yet not liking the shape but stuck with shape if I want to keep back cap and ninja pocket.I'm going to get a fearing for it for sure and replace bars not liking the beach cruiser bars at all.looking to swap forks out but not sure what style yet or at all.everything replaced or rebuilt still hard starting but guess that these Gs all 3 of mine were lol

14168.jpeg

1012171132a.jpg

1012171132.jpg

8 hours ago, Brucekirk said:

Ground up restored 78gs1000??

Rebuild engine weisco big bore kit bottom end milling done by local shop but I did everything else in my shop kirkcustomcycles.com.............. still hard starting but guess that these Gs all 3 of mine were lol

I can't find your website.....I'm keen to have a look.

Hard starting? No, that's not a GS trait...you've still got a fault. Or two.

On 11/10/2017 at 4:26 AM, gs7_11 said:

I can't find your website.....I'm keen to have a look.

Hard starting? No, that's not a GS trait...you've still got a fault. Or two.

Hmm from cold these all are hard starting two cranks it fires up no problems stays running only takes putting on gloves for it to warm up to ride away.IV had 3 78-79-80 all pesky to start if left a few days.

11 hours ago, CockneyRick said:

I bought a seat from Guillari in Italy, totally shite fit so i sent it back.

Then got a local car upholsterer to do original base with a step & piping, all in for £120!

1st 2 pics are the Guillari, next 2 are of it now ;) 

Seat1.JPG

Seat4.JPG

Seatside.JPG

Seatback.JPG

True oe usually better I try not to buy anything new if I can help it only cables tires drive chain but there usually shit quality.

On 11/10/2017 at 2:45 PM, wraith said:

Welcome to OSS :)

Yes their is something wrong there GS1000 start very well, my GS1000 Start's first push of the button, apart from when its -0 or below, which I don't think you will get that sort of temperature in Texas xD

Two cranks it start fine warms up just putting gloves on but some times I gotta jump it a little and battery is brand new just cranks slow sometimes

3 minutes ago, Dorkburger said:

If your replacing the tail section, hold on to, or sell that chrome trim piece. They apparently disppear over the years and stock type resto guys are often on the lookout for them and the clips to hold them on. 

Im just going to build or buy a better seat flatter one but matches back cap

12 hours ago, CockneyRick said:

Front end is a complete K1-2 series, & rear is a Busa wheel with plenty of fettling to get it to fit a JMC braced GS1000  fitting swinger ;) 

better pic of it all!

383016_10151564067730733_2105067522_n.jpg

Nice...I thought aboot grafting a bandit swing arm to mine but don't think they be much of a difference between the two as in rear tire size in looking for a wider tire for the back I'm replacing it next month would like a fatter rear any suggestions would be gooder,and id love to get some gsxr forks and a allballz bearings kit.

595f5e9fafd0c5dc3b1b9a2030818767--colorful-movie-mad-max-.jpg

Just now, Brucekirk said:

Nice...I thought aboot grafting a bandit swing arm to mine but don't think they be much of a difference between the two as in rear tire size in looking for a wider tire for the back I'm replacing it next month would like a fatter rear any suggestions would be gooder,and id love to get some gsxr forks and a allballz bearings kit.

595f5e9fafd0c5dc3b1b9a2030818767--colorful-movie-mad-max-.jpg

And were does ur oil cooler connect by the way

On 11/11/2017 at 3:28 PM, wraith said:

Looking nice, as to the cranking slow, try a different starter or new brushes also try a extra earth wire (coming from one of the two 6mm bolts that hold the starter motor in place and run it to the frame/battery)

Battery is brand new but I did a load test..sit at 12+,running its 13+ but it drops down to 9volts under starting must be a shite battrey,wiring harness is brand new i built it and double ground most things from experience lol but never thought aboot re-grounding starter good idea.but I think I need ANOTHER battrey good thing these Exide batteries have warrnties.fires up two cranks but sometimes its like battrey is low

Star-Wars-Episode-VII-The-Force-Awakens-Image-9.jpg

Oil cooler is plumbed to the oil presssure gauge at back of block, adapter needed. 

Front end is usually a top bearing change only, But it is an odd size! 

Rear end is all dependent on what rim you want to fit? I used Busa cos the hub size is narrower than K series & makes chain alignment much easier, not to say it is though!

DSCF0977.JPG

Edited by CockneyRick
  • Like 1
15 hours ago, Brucekirk said:

Battery is brand new but I did a load test..sit at 12+,running its 13+ but it drops down to 9volts under starting must be a shite battrey,wiring harness is brand new i built it and double ground most things from experience lol but never thought aboot re-grounding starter good idea.but I think I need ANOTHER battrey good thing these Exide batteries have warrnties.fires up two cranks but sometimes its like battrey is low

Star-Wars-Episode-VII-The-Force-Awakens-Image-9.jpg

Check your STARTER MOTOR, as they are a 30 year old part and they may work but will be worn and can course slow turning over of the engine and power drain on the battery ;) 

• Like 1