Stick coil diagram

george 1100

Either would work. If you keep the feeds correct for each pair of coils, which you've done and they're linked in series properly as you show -  both would work - the coils aren't pole sensitive. I think I connected mine like the second diagram. Putting labels on the feeds from the ecu/cdi and corresponding 2 wires on the new sub-loom makes it easier once you've covered the new loom with loom tape - it avoids connecting the pairs the wrong way round and getting a loud backfire when you're tired and putting things back together - like I did -  I was wide awake very quickly ! It wasn't helped by the fact I used the same wire coding for both pairs of coils, if you use the same coding as the bike's, you wouldn't need to label the loom ends.

I love the conversion, it works really well and is so much neater.

• Like 1

Just a side note for Slabby CDi (not slingshot) you need to consider adding suitable resistors in series with the coil pairs to get the primary resistance up to a number that won’t cause issues for the slabby CDi. I used 2.2ohm 50watt resistors in my slabby CoP loom (posted in a thread in oil cooled earlier this year). 

50 minutes ago, Blue said:

Which stick coils for 1100L Engine?

Early GSXR1000/750/600 K series coils all work on Slingshots (GSR600 coils are the same as 600/750k4/5 too - so are fine) , they give correct resistance when wired in series - actually there's many others, like Triumph TT600 etc., but I like keeping to the early/mid K coils - SRAD coils have too low a resistance and I think the redesigned GSXR600/750 K6 onwards engine used different rated coils too. Always check how many ohms you have at the new loom terminals before you fit everything - should be in within spec : 2.4 - 3.2 ohms

1 hour ago, Macduff said:

Just a side note for Slabby CDi (not slingshot) you need to consider adding suitable resistors in series with the coil pairs to get the primary resistance up to a number that won’t cause issues for the slabby CDi. I used 2.2ohm 50watt resistors in my slabby CoP loom (posted in a thread in oil cooled earlier this year). 

These coils confuse me or at least how they get wired up! Average COP resistance is 0.7 - 1.2 ohms @ 12v and if connected in series they share the 12v so get 6v each but add the resistance's so total equals anything between 1.4 and 2.4 ohms - so really need additional resistance in series which would pull overall volts down?

If wired parallel, then the voltage will be maintained at 12v to both but resistance is halved (if I remember electrical theory correctly!)  so you'd need to add a 6 or 7 ohm resistance, also in parallel, to get something like a 3-4 ohm system draw to keep the CDI happy - or am I completely barking on this?

You're not wrong but the real electrickery regarding what the coils do isn't found in the basics resistance/volts/amps as it's  a coil  about the inductance so the basic fudge of adding a resistor in is just that a fudge .  I can't remember the correct formula for inductance calls but I do know we don't have access to the input variables to be able work stuff out. I used the resistor fudge as others had reported issues for the slabby cdi which is used to feeding coils of around 5ohms primary resistance.  I didn't want to burn my cdi out so made that fudge. I may locate a working spare slabby cdi and unplug my resistors to see what happens. Ps even with the fudge resistor in series my bike ran   better as it filled in a mid range part throttle flat spot that  think was due to lean mixture that the stock aged coli's and leads struggled to ignite. 

Hi guys 

I've got early k series cops

code 129700-4400 

are there any shorter ones that I can use that give out around 3ohms as I'm not really liking how far they stick out the motor (b12) 

also what's the best way to test them so I know what ohms there putting out 

thanks 

On 11/16/2017 at 7:38 AM, Prime said:

Hi guys 

I've got early k series cops

code 129700-4400 

are there any shorter ones that I can use that give out around 3ohms as I'm not really liking how far they stick out the motor (b12) 

also what's the best way to test them so I know what ohms there putting out 

thanks 

I'm using the 4150's, they're slightly shorter