EFE starter problems

2 hours ago, Wilf said:

Starter clutch ok?

Obviously not i'd say! Knackered springs / worn rollers  / scored back plate / distorted case. The Suzuki mount bolts are supposed to be be the dogs danglies being UHT - but they break same as other lesser bolts / screws. I resorted to stainless screws and 3No tack welds onto rotor!

I had the same problem with mine some years ago with the clutch becoming loose and the bolts shearing, after rebuilding it a couple of times I eventually discovered that the dowel pin that locates the starter clutch onto the rotor was the same length as the depth of the hole in the back of the clutch plate. 

It was gradually working its way down the hole until it was no longer in the rotor at all, then there was nothing to stop any sideways movement in the starter clutch, after a few starts it would loosen off the mounting bolts and eventually either be too loose to work or shear the bolts.

You can either fit a longer dowel pin or do what I did and drip some JB weld down the hole, I have had no problems since and I am using standard Suzuki bolts.

When you have it apart first check that the dowel is actually present, and then fit it into the back of the starter clutch and see if it drops all the way in, I never realised there was a problem as I always used to fit the pin into the rotor before I put the clutch on.

On 11/2/2017 at 8:44 AM, matt said:

I had the same problem with mine some years ago with the clutch becoming loose and the bolts shearing, after rebuilding it a couple of times I eventually discovered that the dowel pin that locates the starter clutch onto the rotor was the same length as the depth of the hole in the back of the clutch plate. 

It was gradually working its way down the hole until it was no longer in the rotor at all, then there was nothing to stop any sideways movement in the starter clutch, after a few starts it would loosen off the mounting bolts and eventually either be too loose to work or shear the bolts.

You can either fit a longer dowel pin or do what I did and drip some JB weld down the hole, I have had no problems since and I am using standard Suzuki bolts.

When you have it apart first check that the dowel is actually present, and then fit it into the back of the starter clutch and see if it drops all the way in, I never realised there was a problem as I always used to fit the pin into the rotor before I put the clutch on.

I don't doubt what you have but there was never a dowel fitted from the factory so I believe you've discovered a poorly executed 'diy fix'. Its unlikely the factory would over depth a hole to the extent that the 'fix' would no longer function as intended.

A dowelled rotor is a common 'DIY' fix...............................if you haven't got a welder LOL!

4 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

I don't doubt what you have but there was never a dowel fitted from the factory so I believe you've discovered a poorly executed 'diy fix'. Its unlikely the factory would over depth a hole to the extent that the 'fix' would no longer function as intended.

A dowelled rotor is a common 'DIY' fix...............................if you haven't got a welder LOL!

1135 Motor had the dowel from the factory ..:tu  earlier bikes did not....as Matt found out its the same length as the hole so I drop a ball bearing in first to stop it bottoming out..........

http://www.robinsonsfoundry.co.uk/shop/online-store/suzuki-parts-finder/gsx/gsx1100efe/e-f-g-1984-1986.htm?vehicle_id=25#!gsx1100efestarterclutch

I use the stock bolts or 13,8 Cap Screws and some blue glue B|

9 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

Well there's yer problem - electrical init!  ......................................................................... the genny's fallen off!

By the look at the end of that crank it didn't stop spinning too quickly - notice any vibration LOL!

The missed gear two dropped valves and 75 shot of gas has a lot to answer for :v 

Rev Limiter My ass that stopped sweet FA .:(

1 hour ago, boilerdude said:

So it happened on a missed shift during a 75 shot of nitrous and also your rev limiter failed... And then all that happened? 

No Rev limiter was and does still work.....but it don't stop the carnage ..

it had 75 shot in from the get go missed engaging 4th at about 140 mph "no logger but going on previous tickets"  motor hit the limiter valves kissed ,piston smashed rod bent liner smashed motor stopped dead ....only noticed the rotor when the motor was fully stripped once back home.............Oil Boliers are so much stronger for ££

6 hours ago, boilerdude said:

Well thats only partly the motor to blame. Nitrous does not discriminate. Nitrous destroys. 

It wasn't the squeeze that killed it - it was a million year old engine design and rider with a limp left foot or having

shift finger reactions measured with an egg timer LOL! xDxDxD

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

It wasn't the squeeze that killed it - it was a million year old engine design and rider with a limp left foot or having

shift finger reactions measured with an egg timer LOL! xDxDxD

Close :tu 

Yeap the squeeze was spot on Ian  not one burnt part loads of smashed bits thou LOL xD 

But part of that million year old engine incudes a shift drum with a design that asks it to turn further to engage 4th than any other gear....O.o 

unnoticed wear in the £30 shift cylinder and minor wear on the pin....is all it took to miss 4th............the jockey cut a good light and is much better on the shift light than tyrannosaur's  me.......:v  

Still the head was ok after some blue glue and new valves crank donated a couple of webs and a SC Gear to the rebuild cases cleaned up 2nd hand liner and gsxr piston and it still lives ...:banana:

• Like 1

That 4th gear issue. Ive actually run into that with a lot of bikes (not super enhanced ones mind you). exactly 4th gear. my other b12 did it my current b12 does it. Of course my blades all did it... Something about 4th gear. Not all the time but occasionally. It seems like the laziest gear on most bikes if you dont shift right.

Edited by boilerdude
  • 2 weeks later...
On November 2, 2017 at 1:44 AM, matt said:

I can confirm this as well

DSCN0699_zps21301e22.jpg