GS 550/650 frame

wraith

Ok all,

Can anybody tell me is there a difference in engine cradle size and tank size between the gs550 and gs650? 

The reason being is, there is someone where I live who wants to build a GS with a wide rear wheel and oilcooled motor but they are only short and has a upper body problem so they need to look at the 550 size of frame, but I was thinking as the 650 is a shaft the swing arm mounts are wider so better for a latter gsxr swingarm and 5.5" + rear wheel ;)

They have a gs550 which they can ride OK and if the gs650 are the same size they can start building a bike and stay on the road at the same time.

Cheers for any help.;)

On the chain drive GS650, the frame is nearly identical to the 550.  Shaft drive GS650 frame has a few differences: tank is shorter but wider and engine mounts are difference as it uses different engine cases.  I have all three frames and can take measurements if you need them.

5 hours ago, Poldark said:

On the chain drive GS650, the frame is nearly identical to the 550.  Shaft drive GS650 frame has a few differences: tank is shorter but wider and engine mounts are difference as it uses different engine cases.  I have all three frames and can take measurements if you need them.

Cheers for that, the engine mounts are not a problem as a oilcooled motor is going in it, the shorter tank on the 650 is good and will help with there reach :)

The reason for using a 650 frame is so the wider swing arm/wheel will go in easier. They already have a 600srad rear end xD (no frame or motor or front end thow xD just sourcing parts) on a tite budget.

Edited by wraith
Added a bit
11 hours ago, micktodd said:

Can understand the tight budget  prices on Eblag gone through the roof 

Eblag isn't too bad if you broaden your search area.

Lately I have been sourcing my parts in Finland, Poland, Italy, Australia and Russia. 

Postage is sometimes free!o.O

No hassle with customs fees, delasy or delivery what so ever. Every seller speach English these days or knows how to use a online translater. 

With Ebuy and PayPal protection it is reasonable safe to buy this far 

• Like 2

I know what you all are saying about eblag, you can still get the odd bargen, but most of the time things go for silly money :( unless its me that's selling xD

Once you could build a bike (if you did not want a show winner) quite cheep, nowadays your look well over £1000 and that's a basic build up, and everyone wants 20-30 year old parts like new.xD

• Like 1

If they could get a gs650gt (shaft drive, not kat style) frame and tank they'd be happy, as only need the frame and tank as looking at oilcooled motor modern running gear and one off seat etc :)

The only ones they have seen up to now is out of there budget ;) but they are also not in a rush, and as I will be helping them building it and have one house and two bikes to do never am I xD