Harris shocks

Brad

With the early magnum cantilever suspension set ups. Is there an accepted normal replacement shock. I've got a Spondon monoshocked gs with a de carbon shock like the magnums did, same sort of layout too but it's about fucked. Any suggestions? 

Pics because who doesn't like another pic

20170928_184232.jpg

Thanks for that @clivegtojust the info I was after. My de carbon one seems to be 10mm longer than the EMC. I think I'll get the front end in properlyset it up on blocks and do a bit of working out where the shock needs to be to get a decent front end angle and swingarm angle. Then I think I might be on to the shock factory thanks @yann7/11r

• Like 2

The early Magnum frame kits were supplied with De Carbon shocks. From the mid-80s on they changed to White Power shocks. The WP shocks often crop up on Eblag but I have never seen one that doesn't require a rebuild. This would cost in the region of £200 depending on what parts needed replacing. I think Harris currently supply Magnum frame kits with a Nitron shock. I know right up until they were asset stripped by Norton, Spondon were supplying their frame kits with Nitron shocks due to the cost of Ohlins so one of these may be a cost-effective option.

Edited by Dezza

Thanks for the info @Dezzaa few lads who worked for Spondon stayed on a Norton, I had an ask round them for some confirmation on what they did. Handy as I was a chassis design engineer for Norton until a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately my frame is at least 10 years before any of them started at Spondon. 

I think A ducati 848 shock will do the trick for length and stroke, not sure about spring rate but I can swap the spring out ok.

• Like 1

The 848/1098 range have rock-hard rear suspension - I had a 1098s and even when modified it was almost unrideable on most B roads. I suspect an 848 shock will definitely need a softer spring. The 1098s had an Ohlins shock as standard. The spring needs changing though (unless you are the same size as Giant Haystacks) and a new collar needs to be fitted so the spring preload can be backed off.

• Like 1