one stupid wheel question...

boilerdude

So My efe is a tad "crooked" when comparing the alignment with the subframe and the swingarm/rear wheel. The wheel is over to the left a noticeable bit when you look at it. Well when I swap the gsxr rear wheel what if I move the wheel "to the right a tad" in the swingarm so it's more centered on the actual bike. Ok idea? bad idea?

I may not even have to modify the spacer on the sprocket side. Just throw it in there (with the efe carrier) and then machine the brake side to suit... This sound like a dumb idea for any glaring reason? Fix a little bit of that efe crookedness by just moving the wheel over a bit when I swap them?

Edited by boilerdude

but the swap already calls for an offset front sprocket. It would likely put it closer to just right I assume. In fact with the efe drive in the gsxr wheel the sprocket alignment is guaranteed to not need any modding in the front. But I hear what you're saying. the subframe is the part thats "not where it should be". Probably tipped over at some point and was perhaps fixed up again nice and original like with long turn signals and everything. But on the other hand it does seem otherwise original and not layed over. The turn signals are cracking into a hundred pieces like I'm sure you guys know they do over time. but still hold true.. but still though. Do I take it somewhere and get the frame straightened. Or just install the wheel with the efe drive and see where that puts the wheel on the bike.

nah thats probably silliness. I need to just get the wheel centered to the arm and then get the bike straightened or not ...

I have both rear wheels at a local machine shop. Ive commisioned them with measuring from the sprocket side spacer to the center of the wheel on both wheels. figure out the difference. then the efe carrier swaps into the sling/bandit wheel (which improves clearance) and then take measurement again on the gsxr wheel. figure out how much closer to correct that gets the wheel and then take the remaining bit off of the efe spacer. I suppose the ball is already rolling on that. 

So dont worry it's getting done the right way I suppose 

Edited by boilerdude

Centring the wheel to the arm doesn't necessarily mean the wheels will be in line. Many swing arms are offset. Put the (new) back wheel in the arm without spacers. Move the rear to line the wheels up,  then take a look at what you need to do to line the sprockets up, offset eng. sprocket/ turn rear wheel sprocket over (if it's dished)/ shave sprocket carrier/different carrier ect, but line the wheels up first! 

Edited by Swiss Toni
  • Like 2

also keep in mind bent swing arm - seems to be more common than expected  - had an issue with a present project ref: wheel alignment and it was down to the LH arm leg sitting 8mm higher than the RH one - so atleast check the rear wheel spindle is straight relative to the swing arm mounting spindle

I'll get pictures here in a bit. Funny you mention swingarm as I was taking a good hard look at things last night.

If I layed a rod from the taillight across the gas cap and rested atop the guages up front. Everything lines up perfectly. The subframe does not appear twised or tweaked from the rest of the bike. the grab handle is perfectly level compared horizontally with the tank straps. It is indeed the swingarm that appears to reach over to the left some.

Basically taking a good hard look up the rear of the bike. The swingarm itself is looking more like the culprit.

I will try to emulate as best I can what I'm seeing with my tablet camera...

Edited by boilerdude

I need to take some plastic off and get a better look. Ive been busy.

All the screwdrivers I have dont reach those ridiculous up and under screws to take the tail off. My tool situation is in need of updates...

Also I'm still going to have the machine shop do their thing with the wheels. That first post is a shit idea on my part first of all. But even as that may be. If the swingarm were tweaked. I shouldn't just line the wheel up with the front and get on with that either. It's not like the spacers themselves got pancaked in an accident. So my logic tells me that the new wheel ought to be spaced on either side exactly as the stock one. Relative to the center of the wheel. 

Also I dont know wnybody that will take the whole bike and trust them not to charge me an arm and a leg and do this. And I of course dont have my own cnc shop to work with. I can't just fit the stuff and take another hair off with my own lathe. I dont have that stuff.

Edited by boilerdude
  • Like 1
On 26/09/2017 at 12:43 AM, boilerdude said:

but the swap already calls for an offset front sprocket. It would likely put it closer to just right I assume. In fact with the efe drive in the gsxr wheel the sprocket alignment is guaranteed to not need any modding in the front. But I hear what you're saying. the subframe is the part thats "not where it should be". Probably tipped over at some point and was perhaps fixed up again nice and original like with long turn signals and everything. But on the other hand it does seem otherwise original and not layed over. The turn signals are cracking into a hundred pieces like I'm sure you guys know they do over time. but still hold true.. but still though. Do I take it somewhere and get the frame straightened. Or just install the wheel with the efe drive and see where that puts the wheel on the bike.

nah thats probably silliness. I need to just get the wheel centered to the arm and then get the bike straightened or not ...

I have both rear wheels at a local machine shop. Ive commisioned them with measuring from the sprocket side spacer to the center of the wheel on both wheels. figure out the difference. then the efe carrier swaps into the sling/bandit wheel (which improves clearance) and then take measurement again on the gsxr wheel. figure out how much closer to correct that gets the wheel and then take the remaining bit off of the efe spacer. I suppose the ball is already rolling on that. 

So dont worry it's getting done the right way I suppose 

when I fitted an GSXR wheel and carrier the offset was 11 mm outwards on the front sprocket, I got this with EFE Carrier 3mm inboard towards the wheel and an 8mm spacer on front outwards towards the frame =11mm all runs straight and true on the bike mate. The shaft nut sits nearly flush 1/2 thread showing so I made a locking plate and cut a hex out the middle the drilled and threaded  two holes in the sprocket to lock the plate to the sprocket so the nut cannot undo. Meant I could run all the 630 stuff I had.

Screenshot_20171004-120833.png

150711743386063981122.jpg

Edited by jacktar01
Upload image
  • Like 1

people around my area know fuckall about modifying bikes properly. And I dont have a lathe as mentioned earlier. I only have one spacer and I'd like to not have to keep ordering new oem wheel spacers. There's all kinds of reasons I'm just trying to avoid the trial and error part. Because also as mentioned before the machine shop does not want the whole bike sitting there. I am not confident in my mechanical abilities to try and shave down any spacers with the equipment and experience I have.  

Just trying to find somebody who has done this before to do more than just show off how they did it. But actually explain legibly. So I can just go and copy them... And do it right the first time. I dont understand why thats so hard to understand. It's what the internet is for. 

Nice job. you're obviously a whiz at this and you're being modest. I'm not that good and I dont have the time to fuck up. So I'm asking please if somebody could just remember...

Edited by boilerdude

you're running the gsxr sprocket carrier with half nuts as explained earlier. Well after some RESEARCH I've caught on to a BETTER way of doing it. You use the efe sprocket carrier which not only spaces you closer to where you need to be. but also when you shave the spacer off for the proper fit. you wont need to use half nuts. ALSO you wont need to space the front sprocket so far out which will help save my output shaft.

internet. research. patience. done the goddamn right way. that is how I do things.

Edited by boilerdude
45 minutes ago, boilerdude said:

so yea... if somebody who knows what they are doing could get back to me on this. I really would appreciate it. I like to ride not just take photoshoots.

I know what I am doing.... been doing it since 37 years now.... but before I new anything I jumped in and taught myself .... just demanding all the answers to your questions will get you no where.....you claim everyone around in your area have no clue or " know fuck all " ....and I assume you are included . It's quite simple realy ..... ( to be continued)

• Like 1

you didnt jump in and teach yourself out of the blue how to run cnc equipment. I was addressing cockneyrick who obviously has no qualms about leaving things halfassed and riding down the road. And thinks I'm being silly that I dont just smash forward and do the same. 

I only meant for cockneyrick to kindly keep his advice. He can hardly remember how he did anything and now he's basically saying it's all off center anyway but looks ok to him and rides ~ok. That is all I meant. 

Edited by boilerdude

Actually... I do operate cnc machinery..... been a machinist for 18 years now . The fun about modifying stuff is you need to learn..... the hard way if need be . Several people have given you good info ..... Swiss toni for example.... you have not provided much info on your actual set - up ...... gsxr wheel .... which year ?????  The casting dates are on all wheels , which is yours ?  Swingarm ...., which one ????? Stock efe ??? Gsxr ????  Pictures help too..... get your facts straight before you critisize the very people who are willing to help.....  or...... by all means , shut your cake hole and move on .

ok but you didn't just walk up to the machine and start pressing buttons. surely you had at least somebody looking over your shoulder for a while. Not trying to make a thing out of this but once again I dont even HAVE the equipment necessary... Once again the place that does will not take the whole bike... wheel going on is a 1992 750 slingshot wheel (american 750m not w so just call it a 91 same difference, powerjet carb 750...). going on totally stock efe.  So far it looks like I need a gs500 brake hanger on the other side. Bored out to fit the spindle. This will allow me to fit the gsxr caliper upright as the stock efe one and then I can use not the stock efe anchor arm but at least I can use the original mounting point with another anchor arm.