1986 gsxr 1100 raising the rear end

Bobby

I've messaged funky monk over facebook, he has just sold the last of them to a guy overseas so no joy on that one. so will keep looking and searching. I am thinking of having a longer  shock custom made, I have what looks to be the original shock still, its now 31 years old so could do with a more up to date unit as its pretty soft. the bike just feels to low on soft to be honest   

A longer shock won't necessarily raise the rear - more likely cock up the linkage ratios. To raise the rear you need shorter 'dog bones' If you have the plate steel ones they can be cut and re-welded or make some - 19mm SS bar stock two LH threaded M12x12mm dia Rod ends and two RH threaded M12x12mm diaRod ends (they could be 10mm dia - need to check) Then they are adjustable - play to your hearts content!

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

A longer shock won't necessarily raise the rear - more likely cock up the linkage ratios. To raise the rear you need shorter 'dog bones' If you have the plate steel ones they can be cut and re-welded or make some - 19mm SS bar stock two LH threaded M12x12mm dia Rod ends and two RH threaded M12x12mm diaRod ends (they could be 10mm dia - need to check) Then they are adjustable - play to your hearts content!

Slabbies don't have dog bones....

They're a bit of a pig to raise. 750's are easy enough as you can fit an 1100 link, or one of Funkymonk's billet versions. The simplest way on an 1100 is to fit a  06-08 Yamaha R1 rear shock, they are longer, so raise the rear a decent amount, and are sprung about right for fast road/trackday use on a Slabbie. You need to narrow the lower eye a little to fit, and fettle the link and swing arm a little to give clearance on full droop.

Definitely a worth will and fairly cheap mod.

Edit, there's an echo in here. :D  

@Markz9 did you get you ignition switch sorted? sorry I didn't reply to your text.

Edited by dupersunc
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, no class said:

Just a thought here.... does rotating the ecentric 180 degrees  from where it bolts to the swinger change the height ?  

Yes it does. However it may suddenly and violently decide to find it's correct position again. My slabby looked awesome with it done by mistake once, however it didn't look safe so didn't ride it.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, banoffee said:

Yes it does. However it may suddenly and violently decide to find it's correct position again. My slabby looked awesome with it done by mistake once, however it didn't look safe so didn't ride it.

I tried this I got about 20 meters up my road before it returned  to it's correct position, with a thud.  :D

Don't do it kids.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, dupersunc said:

Slabbies don't have dog bones....

They're a bit of a pig to raise. 750's are easy enough as you can fit an 1100 link, or one of Funkymonk's billet versions. The simplest way on an 1100 is to fit a  06-08 Yamaha R1 rear shock, they are longer, so raise the rear a decent amount, and are sprung about right for fast road/trackday use on a Slabbie. You need to narrow the lower eye a little to fit, and fettle the link and swing arm a little to give clearance on full droop.

Definitely a worth will and fairly cheap mod.

Edit, there's an echo in here. :D  

@Markz9 did you get you ignition switch sorted? sorry I didn't reply to your text.

Hi Duncan all sorted on the 750 slabby race bike power on now but nothing to spark plug

power to cdi and coils but no sparking not sure why to be honest