Any paint experts on here?

Hello again,

Feeling rather bouyed by the success of my efe painting i decided to tackle the purple abomination (Katana)

Its been re painted the most revolting purple colour, which is a sin on par with fitting "other make" parts to suzukis, or, even horror, riding a "blade"

It cant stay that colour, i thought, i would be embarrassed to be seen on it, it must be silver, as the gods of Hammamatsu intended!

So i started sanding.

Ok so its not quite that bad , but its f*cked up, and whoever chose it needs a visit from the taste police.

So it had obviously reacted badly on the fibreglass fairing, creating lots and lots of bubbbles on the surface.

I sanded it down with 180 on the D/A and you can see the result.

Now i was thinking about putting down a coat of sealer, then priming it with 2k primer filler, etc, but the bubbles are deeper than i first thought, i expected them to just have come from the underlying coat, (white), but there are some from the underlying primer (orange).

Any experts know what might have caused this? and more importantly, how to fix it.

I dont mind if i have to sand it right back to the gel coat, but on the same account i dont want to sand it further if it doesnt need it.

I do want it done properly tho, and dont want to have to re-do it if it react again

Any advice, here are some pics594c0023c3643_DSC_0915(Small).JPG.ba893d590f36ce7fb144af2eac10cfc5.JPG594c00522779f_DSC_0917(Small).JPG.21514aeaa6f01e5444799df2c6dad3fd.JPG594c008bd4f8a_DSC_0918(Small).JPG.e8cbe559d3e99e452c979f12aa43d375.JPG594c00aad520f_DSC_0916(Small).JPG.51e6e09b97398028c6ebaca1ee689a69.JPG

Its just on the fairing, all the plastic panels, mudguard etc  are fine. Im presuming its the fibreglass thats causing it.

Please help

Edited by baldrick

That's a good one! I started work life as a car sprayer and did my City&Guilds (but not now).

Only seen that sort of thing once before and had to do a lot of sanding to remove all the old paint, then seal it then some good coats of 2 pack filler primer.

Looks like some badly mixed old style cellulose paint and the fibreglass & gel cost has reacted with the cellulose thinners which you mix in when spraying it. Just a guess mind you.

Good luck with repaint. Can't find any decent paint to use at home these days (iso cyanates not exactly a good idea...) and not had great experiences even when paying commercial paintshops, sprayers etc of late. Modern paints are garbage.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Wtaith, i appreciate your help.

You are right about modern paints, but some are better than others- i like standox, or PPG and if you're looking for a rock hard clearcoat, use glasurit, but its a c*nt to  cut back and flatten/ polish, because it sets so hard.

Ive done a bit more digging on the tinterweb, and it looks like its either;

Like you said, a reaction between the previous paint and the new stuff. solvent pop maybe

Moisture in the paint- if no moisture trap was used - apparently this can takes years to pop out of the topcoat

Grease or oil of some sort under the top coat

I suspect its the fibreglass tho, maybe its porous, because none of the other painted parts are showing this bubbling .

Im tempted to just seal it and 2k prime/ filler it, but knowing my luck it will do the same again, so i think i will have to sand it all down to the gel coat and start again - ahh bollox!!

At least if i do this i can spray on a fresh gel coat, then prime etc etc, but its gonna be a ball ache sanding all the nooks and crannies back to gel coat.  oh well.

Anyone else care to offer an insight?

Edited by baldrick

Not sure it is a reaction! There are patterns and some look regular in lines. I suspect, maybe, the items were sitting on the floor or bench and something has been dropped near and splashed over them? What is anyone's guess but oil is a good candidate or possibly water if on to a fresh sprayed layer? I'm not a painter but aren't there isolation primers available for such situations - happy to be told 'shut up stoopid!' LOL!

• Like 1

it does look like an oil spill of some sort, but looking at it, its everywhere, including on the underside too.

ive spent a couple of hours this afternoon sanding 90% of it back to the gel base coat, and will order up some gelcoat, and just brush a fresh coat or two on (dont want to f*ck up my expensive sprayguns with epoxy).

At least this way i can be sure all the fibreglass pinholes are filled, and it has a solid base to paint on, without the risk of any future reactions. He said................hopefully

Its all a learning process isnt it?

its only on the fairing tho.If it was silicone contamination it would be on everything, but all the other panels are fine?

It looks like pinholes in the fibreglass, which will need to be filled. I could just coat over it with primer filler, but the pinholes will just be bridged, and will come out to play in future, so thats no use.

Gelcoat is on order fror it , and ive started sanding down another set of  katana bodywork as well, at least this set  look s  like its ok - so far. All of the tail sections have the same moulding mark, just where the back section starts to head up to the light. This set must have been re-painted before, because the tail section is silver and it doesnt have the rough bubbly finish of standard 1100s

Might  go "custom paint" on the second set, we will see.

Might as well do the whole lot as one job instaed of making 2 out of it

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Well I didn't gel coat it in the end, as it didn't need it. Instead I asked a professional, my nephew, who works in a  auto body shop, and it got sealed and skimmed with dolphin glaze, which is a very fine filler, which fills pinholes and any minor imperfections.

So I am waiting for the Suzuki tank stickers, before it gets flow coated. The silver is not standard katana silver, its a metallic silver, and when I checked it against my standard Kat, its very slightly darker, but more metallic, and I can live with it, I'm sure

here it is so fa

rYeah yeah, silver tailpiece, I know, , but I couldn't find a bmatch for the original blue, so I thoughtsod it, it looks better in silver anyway, in my opinion

Its got a coat of clear on it just now, but they are always better with the stickers/ decals coated in clear..DSC_0987.thumb.JPG.5dde6d88a028b662865115fdf62645e6.JPG

Second set of katana bodywork/ tank is getting done this week too.

Its gonna be yoshimura style, and I plan to try and darken the silver further, hopefully without losing the metallic element, but failing that it will be black, with either white or silver added to take the edge off it, but ive yet to try mixing the paint so it could just end up black lol.

I was thinking about putting together a painting tutorial, 

I'm no expert, but it could be of use to some paint noobs, if there is any interest.

DSC_0986.JPG

Edited by baldrick
  • Like 7

i'd leave the tutorials to those who are 'experts'....but a step by step of how you approach painting oss oriented motorcycle parts would/could/may be of interest to site users...

i've painted plenty of cars/bikes/helmets/etc.... we used to hold sm designs airbrush classes in our garage/workshop/paintbooth

with the age of the internet a lot of 'black arts' are up on youtube or have dedicated forums.

painting is easy..... but prep work and years of fuck-ups is hard to master and takes time.....

....i'm not trying to shoot you down baldrick, every painter/bodyshop/artist/etc i have ever met have their own approach to prep/paint/equipment.