Hi there, I'm planning  on purchasing a complete gs550 cafe racer this week. The bike looks stunning so I don't intend on rejecting this bike. I know it's not the type of fast I'm used too (ducati 749 and cbr 1100 previous bikes) however it's a beaut! My questions are: any possible direct engine swap such as gs 750 or 1100 or b12(bandit 1200)? Secondly, if not possible what other performance options do I have?

Hi and welcome to OSS,

seems like you have introduced your self, but most say hi, then ask the question ;)

As to your question, are you good in the work shop?

The gs750/850/1000 won't go in the 550 with out remaking the frame. You can put the gs650 top end on the 550 (someone was selling some bigbore pistons for the 650 in the sale bit)

The b6, gsxr, gsxf 750 will also go in. The gsxr1100, gsxf1100 and b12 can be put in but with a lot of work and I mean a lot, and you need to brace the frame especially with the bigger oilcooled motors, but are a huge amount of fun and never stop on the front wheel for long :D

• Like 1

as wraith says the gs750/850/1000 motors won't fit, but you could squeeze a 600/750 oil boiler motor in easy (have a look through the projects section) they'd give you a noticeable power improvement.

welcome to OSS, take five to read the rules and look around....be inspired to start a build thread.

• Like 2

Wow thank guys for all the advice. Sorry for my rudeness, as you know my names Kenny. I'm from the beautiful city of Johannesburg, South Africa. Was living in Malta last year, don't like it. It's beautiful but not an island for bikers, to much traffic population, small (short) roads and I had to sell my duc 749 for my flight ticket. Not cool. Is that introduction enough for now. 

• Like 3

Yes, I have an 1195cc GSXR1100 (turbo) in a 1980 GS550 frame. Like mentioned this was a lot of work especially on the chainrun, but it fits relatively easy into the frame. Be aware that a simple valve adjustment job means the motor needs to come out. And there's no detachable lower framerails on the 550 like some bigger bikes have.

816FBEC3-51C6-4178-ACA3-7E9A1765CA84_zps

Edited by bruteforce
  • Like 4
17 minutes ago, KennyJoseph said:

OK it's to confirm what I've read. The gs 550 swaps directly with a b6 and gsxr 600/750. Are those 750s the 1986 to 88 models, the slingshot models, please correct me if I'm wrong

Slingshot are 88 to 91/2, Slabbies are 85 to 88.

All the 750 will go nice whether the gsxr slad or sling or gsx750f teapot.

At the no I'm putting a b6 motor in a 550 frame it's on the projects page.

Like I said I have put a gsxr1100 motor in a 550, as said above you cannot do a service on the motor with it in the frame, chain run is not to much a problem if you stick with a 4.5" rim (160 tyre) go bigger you need to start chopping the frame, to get the 1100 motors in/out you need to remove the can cover and sump.

I make the right hand bottom frame rail as a bolt in/out part to make life a bit easier.

Guys the radio silence isn't cool. I'm about to purchase a Gs550 by the end of the week. I'm really trying to learn as much as possible to avoid walking into a possible nightmare. I'm not well versed with older bikes, hence the reason, I'm searching for the following information: 

Reliability

Cold winter starts and carb settings

Service intervals 

'General' fuel consumption 

Best fuel type; leaded 93, unleaded etc..

Thinks to look out for, red flags

Performance  (stripped to cafe racer trim; she's got gsxr front end and nc30 single side swingarm)

And any other general but useful info.

Help a brother out guys  please. It's between the gs and a bwm r100! I'll probably leaning towards the r100, just more info and seems like a more powerful bike. My ears are open oaks!

IMG-20170516-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20170516-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20170516-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20170516-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20170516-WA0001.jpg

• Like 1

Same price! Not gonna lie but that gs 550 has got some tricked modern accessories and the finishes seems a lot clearer than the bmw. If it was about the looks alone the gs wins hands down. However for me it comes down to reliability as the final say! And that's why I've been search for your wisdom guys and girls

Kenny, I've answered on the GSXR motor swap but know nothing about the 550 motor. As these motors are by now all very aged there's nothing that can be said about it from this distance. They should be bulletproof if threated right and/or rebuilt properly, but as I see open bellmouths in your pictures my impression is this setup isn't built for durability. IMHO they should at least be covered by something like pipercross foam filters for normal use. As it is far from standard, there's nothing that can be said about fuel consumption or service intervals.

As for the looks: The decision to buy is fully up to your taste. I personally don't care about the cafe racer cult.

Good luck with the purchase either way!

Edited by bruteforce
  • Like 1