Clearing out Photo Bucket

Ok spec and is all naturally aspirated, so OSS,  apart from a very late year FI set of cams as I've never located a cheap set of kit cams, but late FI have similar lift and duration.

Brand new un-numbered cases, modded for windage and knife edged for oil drain.

Kit Crank, XRO (different primary gear) on new shells. Crank was marked up by team, Suzuka Q only.

Penke Ti Rods, used but good, new bolts, new shells, plastiguaged to equal fit.

Good used barrel.

Pocketed and plug detailed XRO pistons with new rings. Underpiston oil injectors drilled Ti fasteners and lock wired.

Kit head, probably exSERT, then flowed and skimmed on slant for more squish at the inlet, 

New XRO valves, Springs, Caps and Collets, new stem seals.

Cams, wheeled and dialed in, new chain and tensioners.

XRO kit gearbox shafts, with kit gears to Mertens choice for Bol Q 2000, missing 2nd gear that matches the kit shaft. Kit 520 sprocket and Kit, Ti reverse thread retaining bolt.

Complete Magnesiun Dry Clutch.

New Oil Pump and Water Pump, and Kit oil/watercooler and Ti oil filter bolt to suit.

Nearly full set of ti fasteners, Main Case bolts are new waisted bolts that reach elastic limit to contain the settings correctly.

Oh yeah, mag deep sump and side cases all kit gaskets and the ignition trigger is ERO for kit ignition as that is what is fitted to the Phase One Endurance 2000 World championship bike.

This was built up out of spares as the potential Qualifying engine to match the 20km only 24 HR spec engine fitted to the museum bike.

Edited by markfoggy
more detail
  • Like 1

Is oil filler. 'O' ring recess in the mag casing, plate mount allow fitting of a conventional style filler neck or a Dry break, it's the only possible place to fit one and hanging a crash vulnerable piece of the edge there in the casting or just having a filler plug straight into a large thread in the mag would have been asking for trouble after a couple of uses.

More fun is the blue block on the other side, mounted in the gear position indicator opening. Get one of these puppies singing at max revs over a long period and the gearbox seals pop. It's a gearbox breather.

Output was probably 140/145 at the wheel in it's day, though by XRO9  I think that they were pushing 160, but XR09 has some silly things in it like removable/tuneable inlet tracts and silly cranks. I built this one with quite conservative piston to valve, more about keeping some torque and it having an 8 hour lifespan, but the last 45 minutes of that would be all on prayer power as opposed to outright. If this ever gets the cams and 2nd gear it would be nice if it lasted for a couple of parades, but I suspect museum is better for it. These parts will never come together again in P1 ownership.

But, you never know. When the Manx admits SRad, it might be just the thing for race day. I guess it could go out and finish. I'd probably want to see the best part of £15/20k handed over for the privileged though. I seem to remember that a few of the bits for the clutch are still listed as available from Suzuki, mag clutch housing/ side cover, about 6k. :P

Just for giggles, here is the bike it is meant to live in.

SRad025_zpsl9rpbrah.jpg

I recommissioned it a few years ago and fitted a full 24hr motor. It had been fitted with a dead engine for show work, but a full house engine was hiding under a rag in a corner. The engine had been built for a German magazine sponsored team that ran out of money and never payed the final, large bill for the engine.

download_zps59yrvxzw.jpg

I looked like this by the end.

I also got to do some work on one of the sister bikes, which was a Suzuka packing case special that raced at Suzuka and then got bought up by a team member.

Repsol sponsorship was a one off for the event that year, probably '99.

download%201_zpsbmoputeo.jpg

• Like 2
On ‎24‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 9:56 PM, markfoggy said:

Output was probably 140/145 at the wheel in it's day

Our KRC Endurance series SRAD 750 made 140 back in the day.  Came with warning about not letting it idle (I assume to keep it oiled well) and was an amazing bike all in (suspension woes aside). It lasted the season - but it did go off the boil in the last hour of the last race.     

just been reading old feature in PB. is this the engine sitting in the background. his words "that engine is emmence!" if so, that is an understatment,eh.

how much would that of cost ?  not that i have ever earnt enough to buy one!

Well thing is, that engine actually cost nothing to build, was just old stock from the race program and a bit of horse trading. The tricky bit was sifting through all the parts stored in various areas and trying to make sense of them all. I was trying to fit K1 piston rings at one point, cause some idiot had put them in a bag marked with the kit part number. xD

RB is a hoarder and only parts with rare things if the money is very real. Most of the bits that went into the engine came in batches of other useful stuff when RB was buying up as Top teams went onto the FI bike.

FI bike was '96 I think, Phase One were still running the earlier spec, carbed bike until the end of the '00 season and it won a World Championship.

The engine built for the German team that went bust was commissioned in early '97, didn't get fitted and run until 2011/12.

• Like 1