New bandit???????

On 04/10/2017 at 7:52 AM, stellafella said:

I've got rid of bad colour /faded anodising with a bit of caustic soda in a glass jar for a few minutes.

came out a nice raw flavour. 

last week I also got rid of some anodising - also got rid of the alloy it was attached to O.o - - and half the wall thickness of the glass the stuff I used was put in

not sure what the stuff is ( unlabelled container found lurking in an old farm shed ) - but it smokes when you take the lid off - works a treat cleaning alloy that has stuck to a pencil grinder burr! - ;)seriously  good shit 

Shiney M and P bolt-on bling style anodising will come off if the part is left in a caustic soda (sodium hydroxide) solution for about 3-4 minutes, then rubbed with wire wool. Caustic soda granules are freely available as it's a common drain cleaner. It's a strong alkali but treat in the same way as handling acids. Hard anodising takes a bit more effort to remove and the same process needs to be repeated multiple times. If the part is left in the solution for too long, the solution will begin to dissolve the alloy itself so this is why it's best to repeat a 'short soak' several timnes rather than leave the part in the solution for longer if hard anodising is being removed.

2 hours ago, nlovien said:

last week I also got rid of some anodising - also got rid of the alloy it was attached to O.o - - and half the wall thickness of the glass the stuff I used was put in

not sure what the stuff is ( unlabelled container found lurking in an old farm shed ) - but it smokes when you take the lid off - works a treat cleaning alloy that has stuck to a pencil grinder burr! - ;)seriously  good shit 

Do you mean the solution you used actually dissolved part of the glass container? If so:stop: It may be hydroflouric acid.

42 minutes ago, Dezza said:

If the part is left in the solution for too long, the solution will begin to dissolve the alloy itself so this is why it's best to repeat a 'short soak' several timnes rather than leave the part in the solution for longer if hard anodising is being removed.

Just a quick question, @Dezza

Would it be advisable to give is a dip in vinegar to neutralise the caustic soda, or would just a quick rinse with fresh water do ?

22 hours ago, Dezza said:

Do you mean the solution you used actually dissolved part of the glass container? If so:stop: It may be hydroflouric acid.

yes, very much so - half the glass wall gone below the fluid line and even the glass above the fluid has been etched - like a bathroom window - just read up hydroflouric acid - thanks for the heads up - not stuff to play with!

1 minute ago, nlovien said:

yes, very much so - half the glass wall gone below the fluid line and even the glass above the fluid has been etched - like a bathroom window - just read up hydroflouric acid - thanks for the heads up - not stuff to play with!

Yes, that sounds like hydroflouric acid. It should be kept in plastic and clearly labelled. It gives off a poison gas when it reacts with most substances too. Definitely not something to keep under the kitchen sink.

Yep, it's nasty stuff. If you haven't seen it already I'd recommend Breaking Bad. Walt uses it prolifically throughout all 5 series. It's effects are exaggerrated for entertainment value, which were tested, for more entertainement value, in one episode of Myth Busters (obviously the sort of shit I like watching....).

On 06/10/2017 at 12:20 PM, Swiss Toni said:

I'd swap containers. Pronto!!! If that glass bursts in your hand...you're fucked! :(

back in its original container :tu - to be treated with respect but going to keep it - so bloomin good at cleaning burs / files  that have been contaminated with alloy

I already have some cuastic soda, that is what i planned to use.........

anyway I suppose i will need to change gear at some point???;)

so on with a mark 2 600 bandit sprocket cover, the slight problem I had was the yamahmahamahamah gear change lever has a different spline to the oilly cooled shaft..so i had to use the gsxr one, m6 female one end and ,8 left hand male the other????O.o

found some ally and me left hand taps, the rod looked like something from a 70's chopper that Viz would like:P, so i tonced it up a bit, and now we can change gear:tu

MEjNymV.jpg

k2JRj9L.jpg

8xR9KUC.jpg

IdsZ6aW.jpg

rtA9hfA.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...