1982 katana mirrors

katana11

silver sz had a silver engine, sd model had the black engine. interestingly, (well, not actually interesting, it just shows that im a bit of an anorak) the uk katanas had the chromed round mirrors of the gs1000, because the rectangular mirrors from the katana werent wide enough to meet some strange uk construction and use regulations, for the same reason that the pop up katanas werent allowed to have the built in rear indicators each side of the tail light like the rest of the world got.  instead, uk spec katanas had the indicators replaced by black plastic inserts and normal indicators on stalks.

folks i built this for myself not to look at in the sitting room, yes the motor should be silver but i prefer black, it is a german import,gets my goat people saying to me its not this it shouldnt have that ,she is one of the few left running in ireland and will be on the road as much as my other bikes,i wonder how many of the critics have a standard kat on the road and not in their sitting room 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, katana11 said:

folks i built this for myself not to look at in the sitting room, yes the motor should be silver but i prefer black, it is a german import,gets my goat people saying to me its not this it shouldnt have that ,she is one of the few left running in ireland and will be on the road as much as my other bikes,i wonder how many of the critics have a standard kat on the road and not in their sitting room 

hey, it wasnt a criticism,  you just posted about having the correct mirrors for it so i assumed you were aiming at a stock looking bike. shark fins were fitted to them all, the pic above was from a press shoot. it also apeared in some books of the era, the ones sold all had the fins, fitted.

6 minutes ago, katana11 said:

loving the bike ACE Cafe want it on their stand in Dublin next week well happy with that ,i restore 2 bikes a year maybe 3 depending on condition,my katana a very good example saved from the scrap heap,little digs about fins missing un called for,have a pop up 750 soon after i do a 350 lc,when i get too old to ride them i might build one to EXACT  spec and park it in my sitting room,until then i will continue building and riding,

Edited by katana11