New to Forum

JaySmith

Hi all

I am from Port Elizabeth, South Africa and have recently acquired an 1100 Kat that is currently a non-runner, from what the previous owner told me it should be a minor problem, but we all know how that can go.

How do I identify the engine and frame models, paperwork said 1980, but I have my doubts, because this is not the original engine.

From what I could see it looks like the engine have 16 cam cover bolts - anything else I can check to help with the identification process?

Thanks 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, JaySmith said:

The paperwork only say Suzuki Katana, I know that the frame and engine is not standard from the factory, because the owner I bought it from said he replaced the original engine

Sounds like he swapped like for like, nothing too unusual about your frame/engine combo

• Like 1

I would say your frame is standard Suzuki GSX1100 Katana, it looks unmolested, the motor looks like a painted Kat motor as well quite possibly not the original but Kat non the less. There are folk on here a lot more knowledgeable then me. Kat motors not my thing  ;)  Other GSX engines look very similar from that era

Kat motors don't have a speedo drive up top like the et s do and the rocker covers have more bolt holes but can't remember without going in the shed ,21 rings a bell.

If you've speedo  cable runs to engine it's an et .

Edited by gsx

16" front wheel was on the 750.

think that engine would be what we know as an SZ which would have a 20 bolt rocker cover and normally all silver engine with the chrome cam end caps.

my SD with the factory black engine and machined alloy cam end caps was upgraded to a 24 bolt rocker cover and iirc a welded crank.

• Like 1