pics of clean things

Guest YoshiJohnny

Guest YoshiJohnny

VM29 slabby carbs

Stripped to nothing....blasted...ultrasonic'.......few new bits........modified to eliminate slide chatter...well as much as you can....

tops painted to match motor

done

DSC00078.JPG

DSC00079.JPG

DSC00080.JPG

• 2 months later...
Guest YoshiJohnny

A

On 09/04/2017 at 3:50 PM, canamant said:

YJ take that tensioner off and replace with a proper one.  You know what happened to my engine when I fitted one.

Just now, mick-ne said:

Is there a tale we need to hear about manual chain adjusters ?

Story.............goes...........

.... someone bought a 750M engine with an externally damaged head with an externally damaged head.  It was stripped and found to contain lots of trick parts including balanced crank and highly polished and balanced rods, forged pistons, ported head, manual lock up tensioner.  Said engine was treated to a 860 conversion with lightened pistons to keep balance factor, 750M clutch conversion on slabby actuator, lightly ported slabby head, and the manual tensioner.  It performed faultlessly at Aintree.  On taking it to the IOM it spat its oil all over the rear tyre on the 2nd lap of practice at about 140mph up the Mountain Mile.  What had happened was the manual tensioner did not have the same shock absorbing qualities as the OE unit and the prolonged high revs battered the tensioner and thus the bolts holding it onto the barrels.  The bolts loosened off and the oil pissed out of the tensioer housing and all over the rear of the bike.  There was one very relieved marshal standing in the road waving a flag like mad at me.  Next turn was the flat out kink at the end of the Mountain Mile - it wouldn't have ended well.  Creg Ny Baa gave me a standard auto tensioner which we fitted in the paddock and it remained there for the rest of the meeting and the 5 years after.  Totally reliable with a built in damper.  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Want to ask a few questions regarding the VM29 slabby carbs.

"Stripped to nothing....blasted...ultrasonic'.......few new bits........modified to eliminate slide chatter...well as much as you can...."

Which did you find best, the ultrasonic or the blasting?

My ultrasonic does a crappy job, what liquid are you using?

And with soda blasting i find it takes the shine out of the aluminum.

so what the recommended way to get the carbs best restored?

Where can i get the rubber parts needed for the accelerator pump rod n nozzle?

how did you eliminate the slide chatter?

Guest YoshiJohnny
9 hours ago, yyt said:

Want to ask a few questions regarding the VM29 slabby carbs.

"Stripped to nothing....blasted...ultrasonic'.......few new bits........modified to eliminate slide chatter...well as much as you can...."

Which did you find best, the ultrasonic or the blasting? The blasting was to take the major crud off....the ultrasonic got rid of the medium after blasting

My ultrasonic does a crappy job, what liquid are you using? http://www.Eblag.co.uk/itm/Carburettor-Engine-cleaner-Ultrasonic-Cleaning-Solution-fluid-1L-5L-25L-/171785833226?var=&hash=item27ff3bcb0a:m:mnhO9ox0EZfudqLLycFZlUg

And with soda blasting i find it takes the shine out of the aluminum.

so what the recommended way to get the carbs best restored? strip them to nothing and carefully asses the parts therein, replace anything remotely worn

Where can i get the rubber parts needed for the accelerator pump rod n nozzle? Suzuki....I have a new spare one for VM29s but they are available off the shelf

how did you eliminate the slide chatter? Jeez you want to know all my trade secrets... you take the tabs off the faceplates, make a custom gasket and then oilstone the slides until they move but don't flap around

Thanx for the reply.

As for the slide chatter, I had a big stupid grin on my face reading what you did..

Well, I thought of what you did about 15 years ago when i took the carbs apart.

Now i"m rebuilding my bike and played around with my spare carbs set to determine what i need to do and order parts.

I found that the chatter of the slides is because  the free play of the main shaft in the carb body.

I ordered IGUS - iglidur® G, sleeve bearing.

I cut the 10mm bearing to about 3-4mm wide  and pressed into the outer (felt) bushing (also glued in place with structural epoxy to keep it place).

It works like magic.. the main shaft has no play which eliminates the slide rattle, it also makes the 4 carbs work together perfectly.

Hope i helped you too :-)