Thanks guys

It took a bit of time to get it all collected. And hopefully by spring, I'll have two more to raise hell on around the country roads...possible track days too if I can find time.

Might have to say goodbye to my GT750J this spring, as I have a GT750 cafe racer I want to put together....need some $$$$ to finish the GT project.

image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Still waiting on one more box of parts for the VJ23....so not much happening still in garage.

I did bleed the brakes on my left for dead GS1000 project, and put a shorter tail on my wifes 390 Duke.

Here's the corner where all my next projects hide....all two stroke Suzuki's (GT750-VJ21-VJ22-VJ23)..the Jet Ski, works perfect because I have left it untouched O.o

IMG_5710.JPG

Edited by busa1300
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still collecting parts.... Stainless brake lines here this week, and test fitting my chambers....

Sugaya...this name means as much to Suzuki two stroke lovers, as Yoshimura does to four stroke Suzuki fans :banana:

Still nothing really done to bike yet though....still dragging my ass. Really need to step it up to get bike done in time for show season.

IMG_6424.JPG

IMG_6425.JPG

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Frame and swing arm are cleaned up now and ready to get back to work holding everything together.

Wheels were pretty rough with missing paint and corrosion, so they got a coating of paint remover, and then the soda blaster cleaned up what was left.

Taking the wheels to work tomorrow to get them looking like they did when new. Then new bearings and seals....not sure what I'm going to do about tires yet....????

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1
19 hours ago, busa1300 said:

not sure what I'm going to do about tires yet....????

Dunlop GPR13 Alpha in 120 and 160.

The 120s and 160s that the SV650 guys run are built for the extra 50kg that those things carry, the GPR13 is about the only thing built specifically for road 250s anymore

• Like 1

Yea....I really wish they were 3.5, then the options would be infinite...No idea why Suzuki, by the mid 90's, would put a 3.0 on a bike designed for the track. And there is no other Suzuki wheel made that will directly swap out that is a 3.5....

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by busa1300
  • Like 3
10 hours ago, busa1300 said:

Yea....I really wish they were 3.5, then the options would be infinite...No idea why Suzuki, by the mid 90's, would put a 3.0 on a bike designed for the track. And there is no other Suzuki wheel made that will directly swap out that is a 3.5....

I hear rumour that a bandit 400 front wheel will swap in.

12 minutes ago, Gammaboy said:

I hear rumour that a bandit 400 front wheel will swap in.

Bandit 400's have curved spokes instead of straight...All of them stateside only have rotor mounts on one side. A late GSXR400 or RF600 are 3.5 with the right axle/bearing size, which work perfect on a VJ22, but still have curved spokes. A late model Bandit 1200 wheel has the same straight spokes and is a 3.5, but uses a different rotor mount spacing....wheel bearing swap is possible with rotor spacers.... I have one I'm working on fitting possibly. If I use GSXR400 GK76 rotors with the Bandit 1200 wheel with different bearings and spacers it will work, but is a bit heavier than the flyweight VJ23 combo.

Wheels done with new genuine Suzuki bearings/seals, instead of cheap Chinese copies.

More parts cleaned up and ready for another 20 years of use. Picked up a low mileage correct shock, that was in much better condition than the original on bike. And new bearings/spacer in the shock linkage as well.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1
On 07/04/2017 at 9:51 AM, busa1300 said:

Bandit 400's have curved spokes instead of straight...All of them stateside only have rotor mounts on one side. A late GSXR400 or RF600 are 3.5 with the right axle/bearing size, which work perfect on a VJ22, but still have curved spokes. A late model Bandit 1200 wheel has the same straight spokes and is a 3.5, but uses a different rotor mount spacing....wheel bearing swap is possible with rotor spacers.... I have one I'm working on fitting possibly. If I use GSXR400 GK76 rotors with the Bandit 1200 wheel with different bearings and spacers it will work, but is a bit heavier than the flyweight VJ23 combo.

I'm sure I've seen a 400 with straight spokes - most of the single disc Suzuki front wheels are drilled for doubles and use a plastic cover over the unused holes.

I would imagine if you were serious about tracking it, you'd throw on a set of Marvic/Marchesinis/Dymags in TZ250 sizings anyway.

Edited by Gammaboy

It was a perfect day to go riding, but I made a commitment to try and get this bike done by end of May. The wife went out of town to see her grandkids for the day, so that left me with free time....to ride, or work.... I decided to work on the VJ23. It was time to start bolting the thing back together, after getting all the new bearings put in everywhere. I wanted to get the rear end done today, and then I will tear the forks apart next week, and rebuild those by next weekend....And hopefully have it rolling again, by next Sunday....(my goal for the week)

IMG_7277.JPG

IMG_7279.JPG

IMG_7282.JPG

IMG_7285.JPG

IMG_7289.JPG

And then I took the wifes bike out for a spin, just because it was too nice out not to.....And she wasn't around to see  :)

* pic of a KTM deleted *

Edited by Captain Chaos