78 GS1000 Left for Dead

busa1300

• 3 weeks later...

Not much happening in the garage yet this year.

But I thought I would look through my shelves, to show a few of the parts I have waiting for my black GS.

Trying to get as many period correct parts as I can....

Straight cut / billet clutch basket, 18 x2.5/18x3.5 magnesium EPM's, Kosman 13 inch cast iron floating rotors, aluminum arm, Lockheed calipers, Andrews cams, Dyna coils, Fox shox, 33 Mikuni smoothbores, 1980 big port head, 1085 Wiseco pistons....and so on.

file.php?id=233file.php?id=232file.php?id=231

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...
On 20/12/2016 at 8:21 PM, busa1300 said:

I took the seat to get recovered, and bought a brand new fuel tap (GS850 which I needed to modify to make work) The one I rebuilt had a hole ate into it from the acid/vinegar, that I had in the tank... :( 

Put on another seat that I originally  bought for the black bike, (since I stole the one that was on it earlier) that has an excellent base and good foam to work with....but ugly cover.

Tank was reasonably clean inside, and I got an extra fuel filter to keep out as much crap as I could from getting into the carbs.......And.....

I decided it was time to run it up the road....!!!!!!

No plates, no insurance, no riding gear, no worries.....:stop:

I didn't give a fuck, I was going for a ride...!!!!

IMG_4568.PNG

Stunning resto not only have you saved another piece of 70/80's motorcycle history from the junk yard but have made an awesome bike in the process- hats off to ya :pimp:

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the kind words, (and BOTM) it means a lot to me, coming from the best Suzuki builders/lovers on the internet. 

The build wasn't too hard, what was hard was deciding exactly what I wanted to do at each step. So many different directions to build these things, it's hard to have restraint with so many high quality suspension, and engine options to work with.

But true oldskool won out on this one....probably because I'm pretty damn OLDskool myself....

I'm looking forward to getting this dialed in this spring as soon as possible myself.....and maybe even a action shot or two putting power to the ground:D

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...

It's up to 60 degrees today...unheard of for February 

No way I can't get the GS out for some test miles, and try and get bike dialed in a bit........moving needles down as it was running a bit rich. Turned out the mixture screws about 1 1/2 and it seems to run a bit better. But it's not quite right yet. Will try some more tomorrow, as wife has plans for me for the rest of today....

I have about 50 miles on it, and so far no major issues...other than tank cap needs a new seal, and rear shock still needs a new seal too...oh and clean tank one more time still....

It should make a great sports tour bike, which was the original rebuild plan (before my wife got her MC license)

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 6

I decided to canibalize my black GS1000 and pulled the 29 smoothbores off and planned on putting them on the blue GS.

But after I pulled them and opened the bowls to make sure they were clean............ I realized they needed the sonic and soda blast treatment.

The 29's have a number of differences from the 26's although outward appearances look near identical.

Clean now, and will be put on tomorrow for testing....as the 26's have to come off anyway to see if I have any rust/contamination in float bowls...or anywhere else.

Engine feels good, but still have carb issues I need to sort.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Today is the first time I am actually satisfied with this project, after all these months of spending $$$ and hours upon hours in garage.

I put the 29's on today, like I should have to start with.....

...holy fuck....!!!!

...what a difference those carbs made...!!! It pulls like a freight train now. And that's just with the base settings from Sudco and no synchronizing yet....

....like I said...I am finally happy with this bike.

The black GS I pulled the 29's off of, will be getting a big port head and smooth bore 33's, just in case anyone might be wondering why I stole them ....

And now I can move on to the next project.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 7

A view of some of the parts that got left behind.... Not sure what I'll do with them all, but I doubt I'll ever use any of them....

Pulled tank off today, and will be filling with vinegar one more time. Getting a bit of orange in the floatbowls still. Also will be getting a pingle fuel tap, since I no longer have a vacuum line coming from the carbs on the 29's...Need to get one with a reserve, since my gauge isn't cooperating yet. Been running with tap on prime at the moment.

image.jpg

• Like 6
  • 4 weeks later...

My Pingle fuel tap came in the mail, and my fuel tank has been cleaned for the 3rd time now. This time it is much cleaner, but I added and extra filter (from a car) to make sure no more rust in any form gets to my carbs. A bit of overkill, but the whole bike is kinda that way.... I had the drill out the center hole for the fuel tap filter to fit into the tank...just slightly (much bigger passages in new tap).

I also fixed my fuel gauge sender, as the float had fallen off the end of it, and was floating around in the tank. Put the float back on and safety wired it so it still can move around, and cleaned the whole thing up good. Then put on a new deal just to be safe.

It all seems to work great so far, but snow came again and have only run it for a few miles.... Also got another pair of shocks from Japan (along with more two stroke parts) as they were cheaper than getting the shaft  rechromed on the ones I already had to stop the leaking seal. It is now as ready as it can be to get some use and abuse...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Took a nice ride about the country side Saturday, added another 75 miles to the shake down process. So far no problems of any kind, other than carbs feel a bit off at low RPMs...I know, don't go slow and I'll be fine...

also got my first GS1000 in a magazine this month...about 35 years after the picture was first taken. Classic Motorcycle Mechanics...4-17 :D

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 5

Taking the GS to a bike show this Sunday along with my GT750J. It will be the 1000's first public viewing, so I need to get some of the bugs off and polish up the pipes a bit. The GT needs a major clean up as it has not been used in almost three years now.

IMG_6598.JPG

Edited by busa1300
  • Like 4
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...