Law of physics and my ES fuel tap

Just thinking outside the box here (and still way off needing to worry about this)

Every post I read re oil cooled motor in ES chassis has issues with fuel tap hitting the carbs, so what if there was an alternative, using good old atmospheric pressure to switch the fuel on and off. If a non venting fuel cap was used with a separate vent in the tank, the petrol in the tank could be prevented from flowing by stopping air from venting the tank.

No more complex than notching the tank me thinks......

Thoughts

Would fuel stop immediately or keep flowing for a short while as if you ride a bike with cap blocked it will run for a short while until the static air Px in the tank is lower than the weight of fuel, vacuum taps are switched on by pressure change so fail off, this method would be switched off by pressure and fail on

I'm not sure what the result would be, guess testing it would be simple enough, leave a small amount of fuel in the tank , block the vent and see how long it takes for the vacuum to stem the flow of fuel. Only reason for me to turn the fuel off is to prevent hydroing the engine in the event of the carbs flooding. An inline coupler would be used for maintenance purposes.

What he said ^^^

Plus lets say you wheeled your bike outside in the sun, the fuel and air would warm up and expand, the only way for them to expand is out the fuel tap/outlet.

If your float valves seat well you've got yourself a pressure vessel. Especially if you've just filled up with cold fuel then parked in the sun.

Not really a reliable way of stopping fuel flow.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Remove tap, replace with small length of pipe with blue glue, install £4.00 inline ball tap out the way.

On ‎30‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 11:23 AM, Captain Chaos said:

Air is much more 'flexible' than any fluid.  

Air is a fluid Captain, just not a very dense one. It's not a liquid  ;)  , at stp anyway

• Like 2