Scavenge pump location

Crank-end pump such as Emtes example didn't work for my bike- turbo too low as they hardly self-prime. I used the Facet electric pump in the end, bought two to also have a spare. Never needed it. You can place it anywhere as it self-primes. You will need a catchtank under the turbo as a fair amount of oil drips from it after shutdown, with the risk of overflowing the turbo.I made a vent on my tank so this can't happen.

31E9286C-CD83-4910-8334-4343A6D8A540_zps

4748A1C9-1CF4-49F4-986D-DB19A8AD7DCF_zps

F4DD37C1-F97A-48DC-BB6B-38EFD6C9932B_zps

Edited by bruteforce

I just permanent live wired my through a switch and leave it on for a few seconds when I switch the ignition off,also fuel pump is wired through the kill switch so it goes off when the kill switch does,that way you can have the ignition on without the fuel pump running if you need to.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Paulm said:

I just permanent live wired my through a switch and leave it on for a few seconds when I switch the ignition off,also fuel pump is wired through the kill switch so it goes off when the kill switch does,that way you can have the ignition on without the fuel pump running if you need to.

I'm not that disciplined to do that unfortunately

7 hours ago, Paulm said:

Do you need to turn the fuel pump off? If you have a malpassi regulator doesn't it just take it back to the tank? 

Yes it does take it back to the tank,but you can't ever have just the ignition on to check anything without the pump running and it's keeping the floats pressurised with fuel all the time the ignition is on,I just think it's better this way,the pump,is running unnecessarily,same with the scavenge pump if it's on the ignition switch.

• Like 1
On 9/2/2016 at 11:50 PM, Paulm said:

Yes it does take it back to the tank,but you can't ever have just the ignition on to check anything without the pump running and it's keeping the floats pressurised with fuel all the time the ignition is on,I just think it's better this way,the pump,is running unnecessarily,same with the scavenge pump if it's on the ignition switch.

That's easily cured by wiring the fuel pump relay via the oil pressure switch. Float bowls retain fuel for starting and pump will kick in after a couple of turns of the crank - especially on an oil boiler. Or just put the fuel pump on a separate switch?

• Like 2

I wired mine through 2 relays. One gounded by the oil pressure switch ( using the normally closed contact), and one powered off the starter relay (using the normally open contact in parallel with the above normally closed contact) so the pump would run when the engine was cranking to assist with priming etc and then when the engine was running due to the oil light going out. Worked well and meant as soon as the engine was stopped the pumo stopped so no noisy pump running and could have ignition on for testing stuff etc. Plus in the event of a crash it woukd stop the puml as well. I have a diagram i can post if intersted 

1 hour ago, MeanBean49 said:

Cant see why oil temp would be a problem given that oil temp is well below what pumps rated at. Think oil will break down before its too hot for pump

facet pump is rated for a maximum off 55 degree celsius, 130 fahrenheit. so, i definitly can see an issue as oil exceeds this value twice under fire.

http://facetpumpen.com/product_info.php?info=p3_facet-kraftstoffpumpe-model-480532.html

facet faq: http://www.facet-purolator.com/faq.php

is a little bit more optimistic but to me still too low for secure use.

Edited by Godzilla

Got celsius and farenheut muddled.

However 82 degrees is about what engine oil runs at.

Given that mine has been fine for 2 years and tons of people also been running them for years still camt see a problem

I do speed trials, track days and loads of road riding, pump has been cock on.

Its even melted where it came loose and sat on exhaust pipe and still works.

• Like 1

well, though i'm running two really big oil-coolers, my oil easiely reaches 120-130 degrees (cesius) on hot days when kicking it in the ass. temps are measured via an calibrated internal sensor, not one of these housing-gauges. when this hot oil flows into a turbo, which runs at some hundred degrees, it's temperature is easiely twice as high as maximum allowed temperature of the facet pump.

if the pump works for you (and other guys), it's really fine. but mine died suddenly - and that suprises me not, cause running way out of specs. and i think it's important tu share this information.

we've attached the pump to another bike, not running yet, cause not 100% finished. I'll see pretty soon if this pump will survive. i'm quite sure it will die as soon as the other one did.