ET caliper upgrade

Jelly

The original 1 pot stoppers on one of my ET's aren't that good. Is there an easy possibility to swap for a different caliper or caliper and discs, without having to fabricate spacers and stuff? I would prefer to keep the original front wheel and fork for now.

For the rear i've found out that the EFE caliper should be more or less the same, but rear isn't that important cause I rarely use it :)

There is an article somewhere on OSS, may even be old old OSS, that originally came from the GS4 web forum that had all the details of converting an EFE to nissin 4 pots, so if EFE calipers will fit a ET then the nissin 4 pot scenario should work too. If i remember correctly it didnt require the use of adaptor plates either which should make it relatively easy. If I find it i will post it up :)

• Like 2
  • 10 months later...

Right, the bike was parked in a corner but since I'm going to use it for this years TT trip it needs a brake upgrade. Different master brake cilinder is already a plan, but as I want to retain the original front wheel I'm also open for different discs. What I have to use, is a standard ES brake setup, EFE brakes, slabby brakes, slingshot brakes (but these need to fit the original forks easily). 

Any options or opinions? @Rene EFE

The GSX discs aren't bad.  Try the standard calipers with decent pads and braided hoses and good dot 4 or dot 5.1 fluid.  I used to run that setup on my GS750 fitted with GSX discs with Dunlopads and it was sweet.  There must be even better materials today.

Edited by canamant
  • Like 1
On 31/03/2017 at 11:45 AM, busa1300 said:

All Suzuki parts except the adapters I made. Used a B-King radial master cylinder as well.

IMG_3852.JPG

SV650 calipers? I've got a pair sitting in a box, will be interested to hear if they're an improvement over the single potters - SV guys have nothing nice to say about them.

Calipers are from a 600 Bandit, and the rotors are from a GS1150, or a EFE on your side of the world.

The calipers seem to be better than the original single piston, but I also have braided lines, radial master and sintered HH pads now too. I would have prefered 4 piston calipers, but no room with wire wheels unless I spaced them out to the fork tubes....

32 minutes ago, busa1300 said:

Calipers are from a 600 Bandit, and the rotors are from a GS1150, or a EFE on your side of the world.

The calipers seem to be better than the original single piston, but I also have braided lines, radial master and sintered HH pads now too. I would have prefered 4 piston calipers, but no room with wire wheels unless I spaced them out to the fork tubes....

Yeah - I face the same issue, wire wheels severely limit your caliper options, and I can't justify stumping up for a set of Brembo GP billets (lowest profile 4 piston caliper I've found - 32mm past the back face of the disc, vs 40mm for the cast version)...

I've just fitted a set of the EBC EFE rotors to mine - the pair of them are 1kg heavier than the stock GSX rotors - bit annoyed, that's weight I've worked hard to get off of the front wheel in other ways. Will see how they work once they bed in - have high hopes for better feel from the steel EBC rotors vs early OEM Stainless...

Bit of googling says 600 bandit calipers are the same as SV650 - might look at doing the swap, the taper wear (in 2 directions - caliper flex, and normal pad taper) on the pads I've just removed was pretty bad.

10 hours ago, busa1300 said:

Cheers, those calipers are easy to come by. Going to look for a set of EFE discs. Do you perhaps have some drawings on the adapters you made? 

• 1 month later...
On 31/03/2017 at 11:45 AM, busa1300 said:

All Suzuki parts except the adapters I made. Used a B-King radial master cylinder as well.

IMG_3852.JPG

This drove me to action - along with the extra mass of the EBC EFE rotors driving me up the wall.

Those calipers (SV650/Bandit  600/KLE650) will work with a 298/300mm disc and a 3 bolt bracket - locate the upper caliper mouting hole in the upper fork leg hole (bolt pattern is 71.5mm fork leg, 55mm caliper, 25mm on the 3rd side). My brackets are getting sorted, so no pics yet  - I'm using Aprilia RS250 rotors (2mm smaller PCD) with a 12mm spacer on the stock wire hub, offset will be different if using a Hunda rotor that matches the GSX PCD.

• Like 1

I liked the nostalgic looks of the Suzuki rotors, and the fact the rear matches...plus I wanted the bike to be as much Suzuki as possible.

They work great as they are, but I know there are a 100 ways to have better front brakes than these yet....I do wish I could make the adapter bracket look less obvious though...I did consider drilling it with some holes.