Another B-12 build

So I just got it runing yesterday. Still needs setting up, but it has to wait until I get a longer exhaust made and wideband fitted.

Specs: hayabusa pistons, Ape studs and nuts, TD04-16, external wastegate, blow-off, oil scavenging pump, MTC lockup clutch.

01098677495cd92.jpg

0109867751a757c.jpg

0109759801c3936.jpg

01097847276bb2e.jpg

01098493693fd93.jpg

01098690194343a.jpg

0109875803b6ff3.jpg

• Like 4

Noice . Should be fun. Have you got a check valve on the oil line to the turbo? if not just be carefull about oil leaking into the turbo after shutdown. The sidestand here is your friend.

Always stop the motor on the sidestand and you will never have any trouble anyways. Stop it on the centre stand or paddock stand with out a check valve and prepare for alot of smoke the next time it starts up. All to do with the oil level in relation to the oil take of point to the turbo.

Anyway, good job :tu

No check valve needed yet, I let the oil pump run a bit after shutdown. Also its on side stand, and thaks to jack-up at the rear, the bike is more leaned over on the side stand. I havent seen any blue smoke after starting, but some black smoke when flooded.

Bike still needs setting up, it's running too lean. I reached some scary numbers under boost (13-14,5).  And needs new smaller oil cooler, the standard one doesen't fit correctly with those headers, and started to leak from the crimped hose.

Also, do you have any reccomendations to start the bike better when cold? Before turbo it was okay: choke and it sarted normally. Now it wont start with choke, it needs playing with the throttle and doesen't want to idle without giving it some revs, after a minute or so it starts to idle normally.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

my turbo bandit , roughly the same spec , starts with the choke as normal . I take it you lowered the float hights slightly to compensate for the fuel being fed by a pump rather than gravity. I run the fuel pimp via a relay that is switched by the oil pressure switch so when I put the ignition on the pump doesn't run until the engine is being cranked . It stopped the occasional flooding of the carbs .

30 minutes ago, colinworth79 said:

my turbo bandit , roughly the same spec , starts with the choke as normal . I take it you lowered the float hights slightly to compensate for the fuel being fed by a pump rather than gravity. I run the fuel pimp via a relay that is switched by the oil pressure switch so when I put the ignition on the pump doesn't run until the engine is being cranked . It stopped the occasional flooding of the carbs .

Not such a bad idea and also if you do throw it down the road will stop the pump pissing fuel over a hot engine! Just don't run out of fuel as cranking an engine to build oil pressure to activate the pump to re-fill the bowls can kill an average condition battery!

Sorry, have'nt updated this topic lately. It starts now, as good as before turbo. With choke when cold and without when warm (bit of throttle helps) I've messed with the floats, mains, needles, pilots, fpr..... with everything possible I guess. I have'nt had any problems with flooding, fuel pump starts with the ignition turned on.

I'ts set up now and running fine at 10psi, still not dynoed for power figures. Could do some fine tuning, but at the moment it's 90% good.

I strapped the plenum to the head after it blew off at 10psi / 120 mph, that was scary.... I have ridden it for 1300 miles this year without any massive problems, some leaks and minor problems, but it's still work in progress and every ride is a test ride :D 

Header and other stuff is from Pete Triplep

Also here's a pic of it doing a 11.3 run. Not too fast, i know, but stock swinger, shitty track and lack of skills are to blame.

0110338187e830d.jpg

• Like 7
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

No nines this year, as i went to the lineup, my oil return pump failed and that was the end of it. there were some other races this summer but i had no time to participate in them. In the winter i made a new exhaust because the old one scraped occasionally and i didn't want to rise the back end higher. Got some 2,5'' stainless pipe and a lextek can, changet it's inlet from 51 to 63mm and fabbed up a new downpipe. Can't wait to ride it againB|

0111946551b6ae4.jpg

011194655719441.jpg

011195166596690.jpg

0111934573417b5.jpg

• Like 3