Moto Martin ,May finish it this time

grebo

After looking through the various projects in this section I have  again got some enthusiasm to re start my Moto Martin build 

Came up with some ideas and tried to measure up, as it was ,on the rolling chassis .Found it hard to do so stripped it down 

and decided to start over

The first order of business is some kind of stand to get the engine off the ground so I can take the frame on and off

it to figure out the engine /swing arm / top shock mount plates. As the engine is a stressed member I can use the bottom

mid mounts  for the stand  as they are not utilised to mount the engine.

No pictures as of yet as only just decided to start project on here

Edited by grebo
  • Like 3

Found an old table round back of our works the firm next door threw out when they moved  Wrestled it out of undergrowth chopped /pulled it apart to give me some rectangular section. After removing the moss and worms

Using my extensive research documents

002.JPG

39 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

they will both not mow the lawn

I've had a word with her about the lawn and she said she cant get to the mower because of the engines in the gardening shed. this has come as a revelation to me as I didn't know it was termed the gardening shed .So using logic I said as  there are more engines than mowers  should it not be termed the engine shed . Generally when it goes quiet I'm right .

1 hour ago, Jaydee said:

Nah, the charcoal is just gonna fall through it. The one in the background should work better. :D

It just drops over a mini  rim as a rotisserie

• Like 5

It did work but only a small victory ,had to remove the front support as it interferes with access to  the front mounts ,so engine is currently held up with bit of wood under sump will make new bit with some adjustment as the wood is slightly too thick and engine tilts backward .I can move the engine around as is but may put a roller on it because I'm a bit stuck for space due to shed full of back burner projects.

001.JPG

Edited by grebo
  • Like 1

Made some front mounts , and a rear upper stud  today as not that busy at work . Positioning wise every thing at the moment is best guess technology aided by cardboard template 

.Also halfway through  altering the stand

001 (2).JPG

Edited by grebo

Engine stand works fine .I can attach it to the bottom of the engine.Tilt it until roller touches floor ,put my foot against roller then using the lever roll the engine upright . it did surprise me the unbraced legs stood up to it as the box section  is only 1mm wall ,may add a couple of straps anyway to be sure.

Attached engine plates and front stud ,the top of the engine fouls the frame but the rear does line up . going to try another front plate to get engine lower and forward a little 

001 (4).JPG

002 (2).JPG

003.JPG

Edited by grebo

Nipped into work and made a couple of new front plates .Have not got any ali left so made them out of nylon as these are for positioning it will not matter.

This gave me all round clearance to the cam cover but still thought it should be a bit lower .

001 (5).JPG

002 (3).JPG

Altered the front mounts to drop it another 20mm or so. 

005.JPG

Propped back end up and made some cardboard templates

006.JPG

Strengthened templates with some random bit of cane and packing tape

003 - Copy.JPG

004.JPG

All them years of watching Blue Peter paid off  

Edited by grebo
  • Like 2

Had to be inventive due to lack of scrap at work so fabricated some brackets out of strip.

they fit ok . Think engine sits ok clearance all round cam cover

003 (2).JPG

Made another part of template ,this will give the general idea where I'm going with this. Got the idea when Gixxerm8 posted pictures of his rear engine mounts in his Harris Magnum II Build , If I can extend them around and brace back to bracket they can be fabricated rather than fixed to frame. I can then re-weld the original rear lowers  that seem to line up well with the new brackets 

001 (6).JPG

005 - Copy.JPG

Edited by grebo
  • Like 1

Removed the two old temporary brackets that gave me the position of the lower suspension mounting point and fitted the two new brackets .

Left hand one interferes with the old rear engine mounting stub   

Trial fitted the arm and need to offset the brackets  left hand one 15mm and the right hand one another 10mm, both to the left 

so need to make some spacers 

will space left bracket at the engine ,this will clear  Left hand bracket  of the  engine mounting stub but throws it close to the chain run have to see how that works out

001 (7).JPG002 (5).JPG

• 3 weeks later...

So spacers sorted ,brackets fitted .................My dog loves bike fixin

025.jpg

Now I can fit the arm the drive sprocket is too low.

029.jpg

A tape measure placed on top of the rear sprocket and the drive sprocket just touches the top of swing arm .I'd say I need to raise the engine half a chain width plus the thickness of the chain buffer .Then the weight of the bike will give the final bit of clearance when its on the suspension.

These brackets are being a royal pain but determined to sort it this time 

Edited by grebo

Sprocket vs swing arm pivot can have a large influence on how well the bike performs. So well worth getting it as effective as possible now, Pro squat/ Pro lift issues were not that well understood back then and modern tyres will be helped a lot if you can do a little research. It is worth remembering that you have no weight on the rear suspension at all just now. You need the sprocket position to come up to get chain clearance, but do not go too far. If you get it so that the pivots all align at 1/2 to 2/3 rear wheel travel you will be in the ball park.

• Like 4

Thanks for that Markfoggy  I've  read of a couple of sites and found it  interesting .I'll bang it back together and off the engine  stand see where it ends up, and alter accordingly. Think it will be  interesting to find out the difference between guess and calculation.

Edited by grebo
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Altered rear mounts to raise rear sprocket ,put it back on wheels to see what it was like loaded .

so this is under its own weight

IMAG0009.thumb.JPG.000a24a45ffaea02f98f606b0a41d4d7.JPG

IMAG0011.thumb.JPG.468c80608f16556140e8eaa5a62e4406.JPG.The VFR shock is stiff in its own right,11/1 Ratio on arm, but don't think bottom shock link is in correct position as with my weight on it,(19 st)  did not go very far. So cant really sort anything till its all going boing .But Good to be back in shed .Electricity supply to shed on cards for this summer .One step forward 2 back the joy of specials

IMAG0014.thumb.JPG.44c6a1ce9037269fd35c2b8da39c1138.JPG

Edited by grebo
duplicate picture
  • Like 1