Turbo plumbing for a simpleton

2 hours ago, El Gringo said:

Heading over to Lee Motorcycles at Ledbury, it's about an hour away but it's the closest one to us as far as I know.

Gave him a ring beforehand and explained what it was, what state it was in and what i wanted to achieve, he was happy to give it a run.

He's the guy Ben at Valespeed uses, so if it's good enough for the UKs fastest 600 diversion it's good enough for me! xD

Cool. I use a couple of dynos, main thing is finding one where there happy to have you stoid in by the bike watching whats going on.

Only thing I find is to aim for 12-12.5:1 rather than 13:1. Turbos seem to like to be bit richer than N/a stuff. Dyno operators not used to turbos might steer towards a bit leaner than nessasary

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MeanBean49 said:

Cool. I use a couple of dynos, main thing is finding one where there happy to have you stoid in by the bike watching whats going on.

Only thing I find is to aim for 12-12.5:1 rather than 13:1. Turbos seem to like to be bit richer than N/a stuff. Dyno operators not used to turbos might steer towards a bit leaner than nessasary

Cheers Boss, useful info :)

I'm just excited (and nervous) about what's going to occur!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

it won't start

I have a little more faith now, it's started everytime since doing the pick up

I'm also impressed with everyones optimism! 

I'm reckoning on 74-75 first run without turning the boost up - i'd really like to get close to the 100 but it'll depend on the AFR

4 hours ago, Kid Kearsley said:

A gsxr 400... like you acknowledged on page 1 of this thread?..

@El Gringothis should be a lil ripper once sorted. Good luck on the 100bhp 

Sorry but that's 8 pages ago! 

A 400 @ stock 65hp so i'd expect 130ish hp at one bar boost maybe a bit less. Honestly interested to see how this goes as the std. 400's were rev monsters 15 / 16K rpm with virtually no torque so having turbo torque will be a novelty - will the clutch handle the abuse ......... Hmmmm!

• Like 1

Who cares what it makes! Its a pretty dick comment to slate it as a shite install before its even done anything.

A good standard one on a dyno makes about 55bhp at the wheel. So to get 100bhp is virtually double that. No mean feat. And it should be applauded for even working at all, going his own way and doing somthing new.

Id be happy with a 100hp 400. Be ace fun.

Edited by MeanBean49
  • Like 2

me recons this is competing with blubbers  1700cc for top project on the go at the moment  - opposite ends of the scales  - a sorted turbo 400 with +/- 100hp - thats as near as sticking a no. plate onto a 70's 350 racing two stroke for just dam't good fun on the road - when you cock up the gearing it will be bog awful, when you get it just right - its going to be loads of fun  - i'm just enjoying the engineering going on for both these bikes :tu

• Like 4
2 hours ago, MeanBean49 said:

Who cares what it makes! Its a pretty dick comment to slate it as a shite install before its even done anything.

A good standard one on a dyno makes about 55bhp at the wheel. So to get 100bhp is virtually double that. No mean feat. And it should be applauded for even working at all, going his own way and doing somthing new.

Id be happy with a 100hp 400. Be ace fun.

Sarcasm is wasted on you isn't !  As most on here feature litre + bikes so without knowing thie motor size, a sub 100hp output would be disappointing. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MeanBean49 said:

Why dont you know the motor size? Gobbing off without reading the content of the thread first? No suprises there

From El Gringo..... "Any bets on what it makes when it finally gets there?  I'll open the bidding with the remains being swept up into a bucket"

Open speculation on output and encouraging piss taking! So now making comments is 'gobbing off' - i've justified my comments -  you just want to take issue whilst offering nothing constructive but if it keeps you happy - crack on!

• Like 2

Do yourself a favour and read through the entire post. Think you will see nothing but constructive coment from me.

Failing to read the post, not knowing it is a 400, leaving a shitty comment then trying to pass it off as open speculation and just joining in with the fun.  Nobodys buying it. Why not keep the negativity to yourself?

Edited by MeanBean49

Ladies & Jelly spoons! Handbags away please! :stop:

It'll be what it'll be - i have it on good authority that the clutch will probably go south around the 80hp mark - on the plus side the same source does a nice lockup conversion

I've re booked for next Friday so it's a nice delayed gratification, and hopefully a pleasant earlier Chrimble present

I'm currently awaiting the arrival of some HD clutch springs to try and help the cause

After the initial results i shall have plans underway for motor Mk2 with a few interesting ideas

• Like 6
1 minute ago, El Gringo said:

Ladies & Jelly spoons! Handbags away please! :stop:

It'll be what it'll be - i have it on good authority that the clutch will probably go south around the 80hp mark - on the plus side the same source does a nice lockup conversion

I've re booked for next Friday so it's a nice delayed gratification, and hopefully a pleasant earlier Chrimble present

I'm currently awaiting the arrival of some HD clutch springs to try and help the cause

After the initial results i shall have plans underway for motor Mk2 with a few interesting ideas

Cool.

You been speaking to the Cross Customs Boys? Cheeky low comp 500cc motor?

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, MeanBean49 said:

Cool.

You been speaking to the Cross Customs Boys? Cheeky low comp 500cc motor?

I couldn't possibly reveal my sources (but yes :D)

The ignition cover with the oil feed point and machined pistons came from Ian

Him and Jim are a top pair of blokes, they're 500's are properly special bits of kit

1 minute ago, El Gringo said:

I couldn't possibly reveal my sources (but yes :D)

The ignition cover with the oil feed point and machined pistons came from Ian

Him and Jim are a top pair of blokes, they're 500's are properly special bits of kit

Yeah. They are pretty special. Only 10 mins from my house. Use their dyno now and again

One thing i have noticed which i'm a bit concerned about, i seem to be getting a few drops of oil directly underneath the flange of the turbo exhuaust

It's obviously nice and clean as it's new but i figure i shouldn't be having oil coming from the exhaust - and i'd have thought it would be burning off rather than dripping out?

It's not a huge amount but a little worrying, any ideas?

I'll double check the drain gasket is in the right place

I wonder if it could do with a little sump on the drain? It'll be alright for now i think but something to deal with.

Edited by El Gringo
  • Like 1