Turbo plumbing for a simpleton

We're a long way from that unfortunately Madb, hopefully i can clear up these wiring/starting issues soon and start on the turbo bit!

Did a few more tests last night. With the +12v to the solenoid disconnected and a +12V applied direct from the battery to the terminal on the solenoid it turns over sweet as.

So i checked the +12V feed to the solenoid from the starter button - here's where it gets odd.

Disconnected from the solenoid i get +12V when pushing the button at the plug - with it connected to the solenoid and testing it on the terminal the voltage jumps all over the shop?!

Very odd. I've ordered a new solenoid to double check.

Also checked the voltage back at the point we spliced the loom and you get the same result - perfect +12v with the wire disconnected from the solenoid, jumpy voltage with it connected

if the contacts in the soleniod are worn then the voltage would jump all over the place. alot of current flows throughs there. or have you tried the starter button? could have some crap in there too. use yer ohm meter to check the resistance when you press the button.

wish i were closer i would love to have a looky see. your doing a grand job!!  

is it ready yet?;)

• Like 1

Cracked it!

Tried the new solenoid, no change, seemed to be an issue in the switch gear at the button. 

Stripped, cleaned and resoldered the starter button, no change.

Stripped the middle section of the loom back where we shortened it, double checked feeds etc, no change.

Tracked it back to the side stand relay, if i looped out the main side of the relay it turned over fine.

Checked the relay, was working correctly but not staying open when the button was pressed.

Started un-wrapping the loom, found a partial break in the earth wire that would have gone from the sidestand relay to the sidestand switch, sorted that out, and we're back to turning over on the button again! Yay!

That was a lot of faff to get back to square one again but relieved to have found it. I think it must have pulled when we had the loom off to wrap it.

So.....back to trying to start the flippin thing now. One thing i noticed when trying it earlier, when it was turning over, I only seem to get one very poor spark from each plug each time I pressed the starter button - whether this is related to the poor earth to the sidestand switch i don;t know but i'm hoping it is!

• 1 month later...

Quick update, i haven't set fire to it (yet) but i've had some more faffing with the loom so i've stripped it all back off again and have re-done a lot of the connections.

Upside is it looks a lot neater and hopefully that'll be it done with - should be able to get back to trying to get it to run again!

I've clipped the FPR spring so should be able to get the pressure down sufficiently to stop it over coming the float bowls - when i tried running it again, i raised the floats back to standard height and it started a lot easier so i think that may have been a good part of the issue in the first place - will leave them as they are and see how i get on.

I shall not be defeated

Edited by El Gringo
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Right, a further update, wiring loom is now finished-ish, idiot lights now all work and i've re-done the connector into a single multiplug

It's as neat as it's going to get, there's not a lot of space under the tank for the main bulk of the loom so it is what it is.

DSC_0469_zpswphkmxhq.jpg

DSC_0470_zpsad7t351p.jpg

DSC_0472_zpsxvcx7vsm.jpg

DSC_0473_zpszny84yu4.jpg

DSC_0474_zpsb0cs1ytj.jpg

DSC_0475_zpspjqtmoyg.jpg

DSC_0476_zpsbkkq91cv.jpg

Got all the turbo bits back on, all bar the last bend between the plenum and up pipe so it's still N/A for starting purposes

DSC_0477_zpsc0hytzux.jpg

Also got round to cleaning the inside of the tank using phosphoric acid

Top job!

Before

DSC_0382_zpsq2lnmved.jpg

DSC_0395_zpspwt488zc.jpg

DSC_0392_zpsnjvg7pvr.jpg

After

DSC_0462_zpsfeoowosy.jpg

DSC_0465_zps9r8n8dkl.jpg

DSC_0464_zpsjrxnabb1.jpg

Also came to the conclusion that the battery i've been using is tatered, so i have a new one on charge ready for trying again this evening, i shall be praying to the gods of internal combustion for a miracle!

• Like 1

Cool. Hopefully see it running well soon.

As a side note i found a seller on the Bay who does malpassi spares, you can get a fpr spring rated 1-3psi for about £2. Ive ordered one to see if they are ok. Should be a better option than cutting down standard spring. He also does replacement diaphragms, worth having one as a spare

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, MeanBean49 said:

Cool. Hopefully see it running well soon.

As a side note i found a seller on the Bay who does malpassi spares, you can get a fpr spring rated 1-3psi for about £2. Ive ordered one to see if they are ok. Should be a better option than cutting down standard spring. He also does replacement diaphragms, worth having one as a spare

Nice one boss, i did see those springs on there.

I emailed the malpassi people about them to see if they fitted the 009 regulator and they were less than helpful about whether it would or not.

Will be interesting to see if it works

It's amazing what can happen when you've got a matched trigger wheel and CDI unit.............

Didn't run it too ling as there's no coolant in it and it's late (and i like my neighbours - f**k me it's loud) but it's proof of concept

To say i'm happy is an understatement! Apparently they swapped CDI and trigger wheel in '93 - guess which muppet didn't know that when he bought a '91 CDI...........

• Like 4
11 hours ago, Fugly said:

I can only imagine the relief you must of felt when it fired up.  

You had a long and tough journey with that problem, well done for the perseverance in seeing it through

It's been a trial indeed, best part of 6 months messing around. Worst part is the false positive it gave when it fired up the first time - i have no idea how it started!

Bit more progress of a fashion.

It was very reluctant to start again after leaving it a couple of days, eventually it fired up so i let it get really warm, fan kicked in and out as it should, and the warmer it was the better the reluctant starting got.

Couple of issues have surfaced - it doesn't really want to rev cleanly, it will but immediately dies if you shot the throttle.

Secondly there appears to be a lot of oil in the air outlet from the turbo which is a worry.

The dump pipe and headers have blued up very quickly too, i guess it's running hot from standing still.

I haven't actually check to see if the turbo is spinning yet - it's got a 1mm restrictor in the oil line but there doesn't seem to be a lot of oil for the scavenge pump to be dealing with when it's running.

Turbo doesn't smoke which is good 

Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Right, bit of an update and a question

I've got it so it'll start pretty consistently now which is good but the revving is still stuttery.

I've plumbed all of the turbo gubbins on, so it's now with the plenum on, up pipe and pitot connected.

Fired it up last night with the tank on for the first time - started ok as normal but as soon as i flicked the fuel pump on it seemed to drown it and it wouldn't re start.

Plugs were soaking when i whipped them out.

Now, at present the fuel pressure gauge is showing a smidge under 2.5psi, after i clipped a coil off the regulator spring. Float heights are set to the standard height of 20mm.

Would I be right in thinking I probably need to go back and lower the float heights to say the 22mm i had it on before. I put them back to stock when i thought that's what was casuing it to not start.

Also would it be worth clipping the regulator spring a bit more and trying to get the base pressure to around 1-1.5psi?

In the first instance i'm going to go back over the carbs and see if i can get it revving cleanly running it on the bottle but with all the turbo gubbins attached.

One thing at a time

• Like 1

Sounds like fuel pressure is pushing the floats open. I always set mine to the maximum height to help em stay closed. Getting base pressure to 2psi I found is about the sweet spot, dint really want to be any less. I always start with fuel pump off and turn it on when running.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, MeanBean49 said:

What spring did you get? One i got was completely wrong size

I bought the 1-3psi one - i did wonder whether it would be right as the FPR009 wasn't on the list,

Ah well was only a couple of quid, i'll just have to clip a bit more off the existing one

7 hours ago, Madb said:

ooooh. so close. can't wait. bet you're dying to get that spring. well done. you have done a top job on this .(y)

Cheers Boss, long way to go yet though. Once i've got a base setup on the carbs and it'll rev cleanly it'll be off to the dyno to see what it's actually doing.

It's a continuing lesson in being methodical and logical with making adjustments - one step forward and hopefully no steps back now

• Like 2
On 5/27/2017 at 11:51 AM, Madb said:

anymore progress, chap?

Unfortunately not much i'm afraid boss.

Clipped another half a coil from the regulator spring to try and drop it down a bit more - haven't had chance to try it again yet.

Have re cleaned the carbs and reset the float heights to 23mm to try and cure the flooding but haven't had chance to fire it up.

The other spring turned up and as Rob said it's completely the wrong size, nevermind eh?

Hopefully i'll get a few evenings on it this week - need to weld up a bracket for the rear light, then i think that's pretty much all the fabrication stuff done.

I've bought a proper remote fuel tank so i can run it up for longer without forgetting to stick fuel down the funnel! I'm going to try and get it revving a bit cleaner before i try the tank again.

One small step at a time

• Like 1