Harris Magnum 2 GSX1100

Spongebob

I started this off as a project thread in the old site. Most frustrating I have made little progress in the last 12 months as I am waiting for the bodywork to return from paint. I have a great painter, absolute perfectionist but so slow it's unbelievable. The first picture was how it arrived with me. Guy i bought it from included the original seat unit and I got a fairing from I think it's another OSS member. The paint on the side of the fairing accurately described the condition of the bike. Final picture is where we are now. Only taken nearly 3 years!IMG_0221_zpszyeppxjk.jpgP1080360_zpsynxnqmvs.jpgIMG_0365_2_zpsozzax9sf.jpg

• Like 4

The plan is to return it to as close to how it should have looked in the 80's. I managed to find Harris yokes on Eblag and the Astralites were bought off one of the Classic Endurance teams when they stopped competing. I had AP calipers already for another project which i recycled on to here. Harris exhaust has been done in satin black Cerakote which looks ok. Headers are rather pitted but they will be hidden under the fairing.

The design for the paint is similar to the white scheme used on the period Harris brochures. Next job is to make a loom but I need the bodywork back as I need to make sure I have clearance under the tank for the Dyna coils plus mountings for things like regulator/rectifier so it does snag the body. It was supposed to have been finished at Christmas. He just didn't say what year.

IMG_0281.jpg

• Like 3
On ‎19‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 7:28 PM, busa ash said:

need to join harris magnum owners club , always some one selling hoarded parts ;)

Are you trying to say something Ash.

Just sold my old swing arm as well.  Its been quite hart breaking selling the fairing and arm. Iv had them for over 25 years.

But at least they have gone to good homes.

• Like 2

As I understand it the original mag 2 had the battery in the glass fibre tail piece  . This caused vibration and cracking .The fix was a battery box fixed to the rear subframe.  

The modification to some  would be by owner hence the variation ,seems logical to me

• Like 2

The original magnum 2 did indeed have the battery box in the seat, which, predictably, cracked. Later magnum 2s then had a battery box/small subframe, which was removable, so the main frame at the rear still ended as two frame tubes, but these had at the end integral clamps for the battery sub frame. Later magnum 2s had the battery box permenently welded in as an integral part of the frame, just like in the picture above. My frame is like this (from 1987) although I have not seen another like it for ages as so many have been attacked over the years with angle grinders in order to fit, usually Ducati 916, non-Harris seat units. A great big battery at he back of the bike always caused problems, even with the later battery box. This is because battery acid would end up coming out of the breather as the battery gets much more up and down movement than if it was mounted in a more conventional place (taken up by the rear shock on a Mag 2).  A catch tank was needed prior to the invention of the sealed battery (a godsend). The evolution of the battery box over the years accounts for the variation in magnum 2 seat units which vary a bit at the arse end.

• Like 1
On 20/01/2016 at 9:16 PM, Gpz1100_Convert said:

fairing looks like my old one eh Martin. how did it recover with some glassing?

btw. I did the back section on one of those harris exhausts in wrinkle finish. looked awesome and did not fall off which ain't bad on the old bare metal systems.

Mark

Mark, it is your fairing! As to what it looks like now god only knows. It went off for paint with the seat and tank well over a year ago and is still not back. I use Simon at Flying Tiger for paint and the guy is a perfectionist but painfully slow. He told me it took a lot to repair historical repairs. He promised me it was going to all finished for Christmas but didn't say what year. I chased him a couple of weeks ago and he told me he just needed to apply graphics and lacquer so hopefully not too much longer. I'm not chasing him as I'm broke and if he is finished he'll want paying. He's also got my Lawson and Moto Martin so god knows when I'll see them back.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
On 02/02/2016 at 3:21 PM, Spongebob said:

Mark, it is your fairing! As to what it looks like now god only knows. It went off for paint with the seat and tank well over a year ago and is still not back. I use Simon at Flying Tiger for paint and the guy is a perfectionist but painfully slow. He told me it took a lot to repair historical repairs. He promised me it was going to all finished for Christmas but didn't say what year. I chased him a couple of weeks ago and he told me he just needed to apply graphics and lacquer so hopefully not too much longer. I'm not chasing him as I'm broke and if he is finished he'll want paying. He's also got my Lawson and Moto Martin so god knows when I'll see them back.

only broke because you have been paying for ELO tickets :)

• Like 1