TurboGS and Bruteforce are back

Last saturday at 17:00 finally the ordered gaskets came in. I had some minor oilleaks so time to equalise the oilpan (was warped from welding), fit the stronger clutchsprings, and neaten everything up by making a nicer oil return for the Facet pump whilst changing back to a standard igi cover. While I was on a roll I also enlarged the mains and dropped the needles one notch. 

As the boostmeter is working great I now decided to shorten the cable to a decent length too. As per manual I made the boostpickup between carb and head instead of on the plenum.

F4DD37C1-F97A-48DC-BB6B-38EFD6C9932B_zps

No time yet for a longer testdrive but we'll get there, need to paint the igi cover in GSXR grey also.

Edited by bruteforce
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, bruteforce said:

As the boostmeter is working great I now decided to shorten the cable to a decent length too. As per manual I made the boostpickup between carb and head instead of on the plenum.

Right, that doesn't seem to work because the boostmeter is totally hapless and indicates randomly. Back 2 the plenum it is then. 

It runs rich on transition now, I think it will clear up when I up the boost. Laterssss.

Edited by bruteforce
  • 2 weeks later...

Put the bike on the dyno today and it ran rich as expected. By the time we got the AFR sorted and upped the boost, the headgasket blew. Bummer, especially as this is an engine-out job on this bike. Good news is that I have it on video!

Edited by bruteforce
  • Like 1

In the meantime we've figured out that the turbocharger must be on its way to die. Proof of the pudding is that the motor delivered just over 180rwhp on 6 psi and only 200 rwhp on 15psi. It just generates heat and I think this might have had an effect in killing the headgasket. Just hope that it's only the gasket.

Always thought the present KKK K04-22 to be too small for the 1195 motor anyways so I've bought a Mitsubishi TD05H-16G for it. 

Edited by bruteforce
  • Like 2
On 17.5.2016 at 10:20 PM, bruteforce said:

Right, that doesn't seem to work because the boostmeter is totally hapless and indicates randomly. Back 2 the plenum it is then. 

It runs rich on transition now, I think it will clear up when I up the boost. Laterssss.

Have you connected all the vacuum lines from the carbs together? Usually that helps and gives steady readings.

3 hours ago, bruteforce said:

In the meantime we've figured out that the turbocharger must be on its way to die. Proof of the pudding is that the motor delivered just over 180rwhp on 6 psi and only 200 rwhp on 15psi. It just generates heat and I think this might have had an effect in killing the headgasket. Just hope that it's only the gasket.

Always thought the present KKK K04-22 to be too small for the 1195 motor anyways so I've bought a Mitsubishi TD05H-16G for it. 

I had that turbo charger on mine, it spooled up at 5000rpm, and at 5500 rpm it went flat out.. 

Next turbo I put on is going to be smaller.

This one is from an Lancer EVO III?

While the new turbo parts starting to dribble in, I rebuilt the engine and already have put it back into the frame. 

What I forgot to mention is that during the repairs on the cracked header I saw that the left 2 pipes were white and the other two were black. As I have twin boost compensation pipes (pitot pipes) on the bike, I suspected that these weren't doing exactly the same. So I used some T-s to connect them and went for a ride. No difference, at least the AFR stayed the same. But now I have the header back off again, the colors are identical on all 4 pipes!

With the bike all ready and awaiting fitment of the "new" used Subaru turbo, I took the turbine housing off as it needed a different orientation of the core in order to fit the oillines. Then I found this...

897E8C3D-8AC4-4DF1-B744-28508B328B5A_zps

Then after some difficult but friendly moments in communication, the seller (who genuinely didn't know) offered to exchange it for a brand new one for a little bit more money.

Well chuffed! Need to do the physical exchange of turbos in the upcoming week.

Had to make a banjo bolt for the oilfeed as no-one in my town could deliver one. The braided oil return hose was now an inch too short ofcourse. As I kept puncturing my fingers on the ends of the thing I found it wise to just fit a simple fuel hose.

47040AED-C330-4645-B361-A8054F1AB3C3_zps

After  a bit of fiddling the wastegate actuator and oil catchtank are no longer fighting over the same space. 

F61921D3-A8AF-4FFA-83E2-F340DD39FFDD_zps

Painted top of K&N filter black as it was corroded from lying in a damp shed. :(

6ACDB648-E510-4015-BBBF-8A7CEAD2BD14_zps

First startup, burning some oil off, turbo turns faster than the vid shows

Now, if it would finally STOP RAINING it would be time to go for a spin...

Edited by bruteforce
  • Like 2

Weather was great today so I went out on the newly equipped bike. First some slow speed stretches with lots of stops to check the bike for trouble before opening up the throttle. 

It starts boosting at 4000 rpm and makes full boost at 6000 rpm. The actuator apparently is a 15psi one which came a bit as a surprise to me!  When opening the throttle in 5th at 200kph it will still want to lift the front despite my weight hanging over the 'bars. On private roads ofcourse...

1270840D-D1AB-45E0-BA71-BB38E7EC66DD_zps

FFFDFA9E-58E2-496D-953B-5DB57B827EA7_zps

TO DO: Slight oilleak from the left lower side, and I want to fit an extra crankcase breather to the filler cap position. And check all bolts etc.

I LOVE this bike!

• Like 6